Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 100 companies that will exist 100 years from now.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/busi...s/8621559/

http://global100.org/global-100-index/

Some notables..

2. Biogen
11. CSCO
43. Coca-Cola
47. Duke Energy
57. J&J
59. General Electric
96. Campbell Soup

Seems strange that a bio-tech company would come in at #2.

Thoughts?
I like the concept of asking "If the DG company I'm interested in will be here in 100 years". I've always used 50 years and look at the companies past 10 to 25 years of dividends and dividend growth when considering buying a stock. If it doesn't have a 10 year history I'm less likely to buy.
(05-04-2014, 08:50 AM)cannew Wrote: I like the concept of asking "If the DG company I'm interested in will be here in 100 years". I've always used 50 years and look at the companies past 10 to 25 years of dividends and dividend growth when considering buying a stock. If it doesn't have a 10 year history I'm less likely to buy.

Agreed, the only stock in my DG portfolio which doesn't have a long history is KMI, though it went private several years back and only recently went public again, you can still use KMP as a semi-proxy.

Other than the BIIB and maybe CSCO all the others I can see as staples of a DG investment portfolio.
I have a couple of emerging dividend payers, companies that have made an implicit or explicit commitment to annual dividend increases. Two out of 35 ain't many, though.
I could identify only 5 food companies in that list. If I were asked which companies would still exist in 100 years, I would start the list with GIS.
Who really cares what companies will exist in 100 years and what form they will take? Or put another way, what do such musings have to do with investing? Heck, I'll be lucky to need to squeeze 20 years out of my investments.

There are lots of things that I would like to identify, but generating a list of 100 year survivors is not remotely in consideration.
Alex