Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
small portfolio
Here's mine-generates about $2500 in dividend income per year. Heaviest weightings are t, aapl, kmp, cop, cvx although I consider my core stocks to be t, jnj, cop,cvx, mcd, and ko. Check out my blog at http://jcinvestor.blogspot.com for more...comments welcome!

AAPL APPLE INC
ARNA ARENA PHARMACEUTICAL S INC
COP CONOCOPHILLIPS
CSCO CISCO SYS INC
CVX CHEVRON CORP NEW
ED CONSOLIDATED EDISON HLDG CO INC
F FORD MTR CO DEL COM
GE GENERAL ELECTRIC CO
JNJ JOHNSON & JOHNSON
KMP KINDER MORGAN ENERGY PARTNERS L P
KO COCA COLA CO
MCD MCDONALDS CORP
PG PROCTER & GAMBLE CO
T AT&T INC COM
Nice portfolio, jcirifac.

Just wondering about ARNA? No earnings, no dividend -- speculative play?
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(05-04-2014, 10:31 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Nice portfolio, jcirifac.

Just wondering about ARNA? No earnings, no dividend -- speculative play?

yes, arna has marketed an anti obesity drug called Belviq-tv ads have just started. I am in the red on this one by 30% even though I owned it way back at $2 and sold it after a small gain. Talk about mistiming. It is my only speculative play and good thing or I'd be broke. arna has a developing pipeline too. Sales data is reported every week on SA by Spencer Osborne-sales are finally starting to ramp up.
Other pharma that is not so speculative that looks interesting now-PFE.
That's a good looking portfolio, jcirifac. And $2500 per year is a fine start for a small portfolio. I like how concentrated it is. I've been reading a lot of different opinions lately about how many positions are desirable in a self-managed portfolio, and while there are good arguments on both sides, I am starting to become convinced that a smaller stable of 15 to 20 names is as good as, and in some ways better than the 30 to 50 that many choose. I haven't reached any conclusions on the subject, but it is nice and interesting to see a compact portfolio like yours.
(05-06-2014, 07:54 AM)TomK Wrote: That's a good looking portfolio, jcirifac. And $2500 per year is a fine start for a small portfolio. I like how concentrated it is. I've been reading a lot of different opinions lately about how many positions are desirable in a self-managed portfolio, and while there are good arguments on both sides, I am starting to become convinced that a smaller stable of 15 to 20 names is as good as, and in some ways better than the 30 to 50 that many choose. I haven't reached any conclusions on the subject, but it is nice and interesting to see a compact portfolio like yours.

Thanks TomK. I also like the compactness and simplicity. It's easier to keep track of things but still seems diversified enough for me. I deliberately exclude financials and materials and soon will replace csco with another consumer staple like krft so that tech is down to aapl. I believe financials are almost impossible to understand and materials/tech are too volatile and unpredictable. So I'm left with the other sectors which I somewhat understand.