Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to take emotion out of investing?
(05-01-2014, 09:24 AM)CritMass Wrote: Ditch the emotions if at all possible. My emotions caused me to lose a boat-load of money on a bank stock in the 2008 crash. It was stock I inherited down from three prior generations. I finally sold the remaining shares and am rolling a loss forward for the next umpteen years on my tax returns. The stock still has not recovered.

Critmass, good point, and that leads me to another example. If I were to take into account the stock options I still own in my employer, they make up more than half my portfolio, even after tax. From a strictly quantitative standpoint, I should not retain any more shares than I would buy in the open market (high single digit % for a high conviction position). That difference - more than half my portfolio size - is too big to be justified by "investing in what you know" or any rational measure. The explanation is that I simply have a different perspective on this asset due to my history with and belief in the company, and I don't want to let it all go. I'm gradually rebalancing rather than suddenly correcting. How much of that strategy is rational and how much is emotional is hard to define.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it possible to take emotion out of investing? - by earthtodan - 05-02-2014, 01:02 AM
RE: Is it possible to take emotion out of investing? - by Be Here Now - 05-03-2014, 06:58 PM