Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to take emotion out of investing?
I see this stated sometimes as a prerequisite for great investing, and frankly it sounds a bit fanciful. I don't think it's possible to separate emotion from investing, or from anything else we do in life.

I can rationally analyze a stock all day, but the next morning when I wake up, when I think of the company - say I see the name JNJ while reading an article - it flashes through my mind as a split-second emotional reduction of the conclusions I've drawn. In that 1/1000th of a second there is only time for me to remember my degree of "like!" In other words, I don't think of JNJ rationally, but rather with an emotional reference point.

That subjective impression may be arrived at by objective means and rules, but there are some circumstances that cannot be quantified objectively. For example:

- There is value in a dividend aristocrat. Colgate-Palmolive has increased its dividend at a healthy rate for 51 consecutive years. What is the rational value of this history? It has to be valued subjectively. On a pure metrics basis, a modern tech stock like Intuit actually looks better. CL has a fairly high payout ratio, high debt load, and single digit projected EPS growth. INTU has low debt, a lower payout ratio by half, double digit projected EPS growth, huge margins, a sticky product, a lower valuation, and a stated shareholder return policy. However INTU has almost no dividend history. Which is the better choice as a DG stock? It takes a subjective decision to go with CL.

- What is the value of a moat? Union Pacific has an extensive railroad network across the US that can't be easily replicated. What's the rational value of this defensive quality for UNP? According to Morningstar, it's "wide." Objectively speaking, how much is a wide moat worth to your portfolio allocation of UNP? You can have a rule around this, but you'll have to make it up first.

- I am long WFM (by way of being short a put) and own shares of their main distributor UNFI. From a hard and fast dividend history perspective, these are suspect investments. UNFI doesn't pay a dividend or return cash to shareholders in any way. However when I look at them from a revenue growth and total return perspective, they look attractive, and my emotional conviction that there is a secular trend toward healthy eating seals the deal. I can't place a value on this secular trend, yet it is real and has powered their returns so far. My emotional convictions and subjective impressions of the world are a factor in these investments, in tandem with all the standard metrics.

- How do you place a value on a patent cliff? You certainly can't use historical metrics, because the approval of a pharmaceutical pipeline is entirely forward-looking, and even speculative. But should that stop you from investing in big pharma?

As an interesting tangent, there was an episode of Radiolab where they told the story of a man who had a brain tumor removed, and unfortunately his emotional center was surgically removed along with it. He returned to his family and his job perfectly intact in terms of his rational abilities, memories, and intelligence, yet he was strangely dysfunctional. He would sit at his desk at work, staring for half an hour at a contract that had to be signed, unable to decide whether to pick up the black pen or the blue pen to sign it. It turns out that emotions are central in making hundreds of seemingly inconsequential decisions throughout the day. There is no rational way to decide between using the blue or the black pen; however, a split second non-rational decision allows most of us to pick up one or the other, and keep moving.

There are probably no two securities as substantially identical as a black pen and a blue pen that could paralyze our rational analysis. However there is plenty of uncertainty that requires us to apply judgment and conviction.
Great topic, Dan.

I completely agree that "removing emotion" from any decision is physiologically impossible, and probably completely undesirable. Emotion is an integral part of what our brain does as part of its processing, and we cannot choose whether to turn it on or off.

I think that when people say don't let emotion dictate your stock decisions, it is just a shorthand way of saying that it is imprudent to trade based on price movements alone (or primarily). If you own a stock, a big drop in price can feel scary, and a big run-up in price can evoke giddy feelings or maybe even greed. But alone these are not good reasons to sell. Other factors are more important (valuation, time horizon, reasons for the movement, etc.).

But as you rightly illustrate, we use emotion in almost all decisions. I know that I am very brand-loyal and brand-aware, probably due to the tireless work of the marketing companies to prey on my subconscious and emotions. I own KO, and will likely buy PEP when the price gets to a good range, but I am doubtful I'll even own DPS. On paper it is comparable, and perhaps in some ways even stronger than the other two. But I personally don't care for their stable of drinks. Is that an "emotional" mistake? Maybe. But I'm comfortable with it.
It is possible to exert some degree of influence over emotions, in part by choosing which metrics you will use to evaluate the performance of your holdings. I use dividend income and dividend growth rates as two important ones. When I look at my spreadsheet, I see the dividend payments for each company increase a bit with each payment. due to two factors, dividend increases and a slightly higher number of shares due to reinvestment of the dividends.

Prices fluctuate, income increases.

I also have portfolio rules - call them strong guidelines if you wish, that help me in the decision on when to sell my share in a company. So, when INTC did not increase their dividend and paid the same amount for the 5th quarter running, no problem. Sell. No emotion involved in it.

When KMB increased their dividend less than 4% in the most recent announcement, no problem - it is on probation and if the next raise is less than 5% I will sell it.

There is allowance for company-specific information that might contravene some of the rules. For example, O had a great big raise last year when it completed the acquisition of another REIT. Since then dividend raises have been small but regular. I viewed that large raise - it was between 15 and 20% - as moving dividend increases forward and did not expect much over this year and into next. We'll see what happens in 2015.
Ditch the emotions if at all possible. My emotions caused me to lose a boat-load of money on a bank stock in the 2008 crash. It was stock I inherited down from three prior generations. I finally sold the remaining shares and am rolling a loss forward for the next umpteen years on my tax returns. The stock still has not recovered.
Ahhhh....The Paralysis of Analysis.

You can't fight the emotions. Eventually you will be faced with the blue pen or the black pen. Somewhere in here is a story I told of trying to buy KMB. I had a limit order in for 5¢ below a target I had derived via various sources. That day it just missed my price while I was flying and hasn't been close since.

Emotionally I vowed to not let that happen again. Strategically I sleep well at night because I had set rules/limits and right or wrong my rules were followed (how many "I's" in idiot ?)

I zero in on an investment logically yet can't help feel that same emotion when I pull the trigger on that investment as when a trout rises to my fly (yeah, mixed metaphor .....sorry).

Philosophically....Value or Growth? Yes.....(both for me).
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
(05-01-2014, 09:24 AM)CritMass Wrote: Ditch the emotions if at all possible. My emotions caused me to lose a boat-load of money on a bank stock in the 2008 crash. It was stock I inherited down from three prior generations. I finally sold the remaining shares and am rolling a loss forward for the next umpteen years on my tax returns. The stock still has not recovered.

Critmass, good point, and that leads me to another example. If I were to take into account the stock options I still own in my employer, they make up more than half my portfolio, even after tax. From a strictly quantitative standpoint, I should not retain any more shares than I would buy in the open market (high single digit % for a high conviction position). That difference - more than half my portfolio size - is too big to be justified by "investing in what you know" or any rational measure. The explanation is that I simply have a different perspective on this asset due to my history with and belief in the company, and I don't want to let it all go. I'm gradually rebalancing rather than suddenly correcting. How much of that strategy is rational and how much is emotional is hard to define.
A: for the individual investor - no. Accept it as a given, and then get on with your life.