Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stock "Technicals"
Hey all. Have been doing some "investing" for some time.
Never really a nuts and bolts guy when it comes to technicals on stocks.
Reading Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham.
My question is, other than this site, which being somewhat technically challenged and getting lost/sidetracked from article to article. Looking for some kind of literature on what to look for when looking at stocks.
You all seem to have your "systems" that you run your stocks through and weed out the good and bad.
Any suggestions for reading for someone trying to "learn" what to look for.
Perusing the library and amazon for some books but wonder what suggestions you may have.
Look forward to seeing some action packed responses and thanks beforehand for any info
(04-30-2014, 02:30 AM)Jimbo Wrote: Hey all. Have been doing some "investing" for some time.
Never really a nuts and bolts guy when it comes to technicals on stocks.
My question is, other than this site, which being somewhat technically challenged and getting lost/sidetracked from article to article. Looking for some kind of literature on what to look for when looking at stocks.
You all seem to have your "systems" that you run your stocks through and weed out the good and bad.
Any suggestions for reading for someone trying to "learn" what to look for.
Perusing the library and amazon for some books but wonder what suggestions you may have.
Look forward to seeing some action packed responses and thanks beforehand for any info

I suggest reading all of Chowder's instablogs on Seeking Alpha. He provides some great info and there are also a ton of excellent comments following his posts.

Here is a link to his page.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
If you are looking for a book on the nuts and bolts of dividend growth investing in particular, a lot of people really like "The Single Best Investment" by Lowell Miller. I haven't read it myself yet -- it is "on deck" on my reading list. But I haven't been making too much progress in my books lately, I'm afraid.
(04-30-2014, 02:30 AM)Jimbo Wrote: Never really a nuts and bolts guy when it comes to technicals on stocks.

Graham can be a pretty heavy read when you're still trying to come up with a strategy. You're right, even here people have different strategies. I attribute some of that to the various ages/stages in their "investment life".

(04-30-2014, 04:24 PM)Kerim Wrote: If you are looking for a book on the nuts and bolts of dividend growth investing in particular, a lot of people really like "The Single Best Investment" by Lowell Miller.

Second that book vote. Heart We even have a link to the pdf version in the Resources section here so it doesn't even cost anything. Miller doesn't have that many criteria when you boil it all down and you can do much worse than follow his suggestions. I dare say that you can even skip his chapter on technical analysis about when to invest in a company to simplify things.

I also 2nd the suggestion of chowder's blog.

Two other points:

Don't expect to read these, come up with a plan in a week and be fully invested in a month. As Eric's recent "Blue Light Special" articles on SA attest, bargains in the market are not as abundant as a year ago. Take it slow and easy; maybe buy small, starter positions on some fairly valued companies. Don't get discouraged that the plan you come up with doesn't have many qualified companies right now.

Lastly, remember, this isn't a get rich quick scheme. It may take a year or two before you even think you're getting any meaningful results.

P.S. Don't know why you put this is in the Off Topic section. Very legitimate question that gets to the heart of where do you find dividend growth stocks to invest in.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Eric, Great info, trying to digest it.
Kerim & DW Will pull that book and several others.
DW this is not the beginning of "investing" for me, I do have a nice portfolio going at this time.
Not lookin for the "get rich quick scheme" do have time on my hands. Just looking for info to understand the ins and outs of technicals.
Wasnt sure exactly where to put this topic so I thought this was a good place.

THANKS for the responses and maybe one day I will be able to understand some of what you all are talkin about.
Jim
I'm always saying us a simple approach. When most people use the term "technical" they usually mean taking all the information you can gather and use it to forecast the future earnings and therefore the future price. Sounds like a lot of work and Good luck, because most people just can't project what will happen in the future.

I prefer the advice given in the Investment Zoo "What I do have is a knowledge of whether the market is cheap or expensive. This knowledge is based on historical data such as the price/earnings ratio and the market's average dividend yield". "But I do not buy the market, only individual stocks".

That's basically my technical analysis: "Is the current yield of the stock I own above or below it's average yield?" Once it goes above than I'm interested in buying and might look at some other factors before buying. That's it.