Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings
I recently found this website through good ole websearch for a dividend forum. I am married, in my 30s, and wish to build up a large enough passive income stream to give me the option of retiring by 55.

I am often the oddball, among the people I know, concerning investing. I consider buying financial instruments with the hope of later selling it at a higher price to be the equivalent of "investing" by betting red at the roulette table.

Essentially, my definition of an investment is an instrument that gives me a stream of income. Personally, I am a fan of rental properties and dividend producing stocks.

It is nice to find a forum to talk about dividends! My current strategy is to once a month invest $X plus any dividends I have recently recieved either a new stock or to purchase more of an existing holding.

Recent pick ups:
Jan: PG
Feb: MO
Mar: CVX
Apr: ?
Welcome benjamen!
Welcome Benjamen. I also am in my 30's and like you plan on retiring at age 55. Let's hope Dividend Growth Investing gets us there.
(04-16-2014, 12:15 PM)benjamen Wrote: I am often the oddball, among the people I know, concerning investing. I consider buying financial instruments with the hope of later selling it at a higher price to be the equivalent of "investing" by betting red at the roulette table.

Welcome, benjamen.

Yup, you found a good place to discuss this "stuff". I think most of us here are the odd men out when it comes to investing -- especially amongst the younger set. I did the "betting thing" when I was younger. Took me a LOT longer than you to figure out a strategy that didn't drive me crazy and that I have confidence in.

So far, so good with your picks. It's getting a little tough around these levels to find companies you want to hold for the long term. Don't be afraid to wait a month before you buy if you're not finding anything interesting for April. You might want to amble on over to Seeking Alpha and read some of Eric Landis' "Blue Light Special" series. Eric frequents here also so you can ask away in both places. Don't forget to check out all the old threads here too. There's a lot of good thunking goin' on also.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Welcome to the forum benjamen!
Hello all again. I wandered away from the equity market to purchase a new house (turned old one into rental property), but I am back to dividends. I want to expand my portfolio into utilities.

Running list of stocks I am watching as I evaluate my next purchase:

Utilities:
AEP - good yield for an electric utility
MSEX - best yield on a quality water company I can find
NWN - good yield for a natural gas company

Random Others:
GD - Why is their dividend payout ratio so low?
KMB (more debt) versus JNJ (lower yield)?
Welcome back Benjamen!

Some other utilities with decent yields and dividend growth are Scana Corp. (SCG) and Southern Company (SO).
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(09-15-2014, 10:14 PM)EricL Wrote: Welcome back Benjamen!

Some other utilities with decent yields and dividend growth are Scana Corp. (SCG) and Southern Company (SO).

I am not a big fan of the high payout ratio of SO, but I will have to keep an eye on SCG, thanks!
I have added MSEX for the water utility exposure.

I have added T for the telephone/internet utility exposure.