Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough Day!
Rough day in the markets today! Maybe it will be the start of a nice dip that will present some better buying opportunities than we've seen lately.
fingers crossed!
Yeah, it is always a little sad to see the total value of the portfolio retreat from new highs, but that is more than offset by the excitement of solid buying opportunities. I've been accumulating cash the last few months as prices have gone up, so I'm ready for some chances to deploy at better prices.
I've been gone all afternoon and had no idea of this big drop. A day like today makes my covered call positions look like much smarter plays! I'll be getting a good chunk of cash soon, so continued downdraft would come at an opportune time.
Alex
I just noticed too.

My portfolio was down < .5% today due to my large bond allocation. I could not handle 100% stocks like some people do.
I'm 100% stocks plus a bit on margin. Use of lot of covered calls however. The portfolio dropped a little over 1%.
Alex
(04-10-2014, 08:56 PM)hendi_alex Wrote: I'm 100% stocks plus a bit on margin. Use of lot of covered calls however. The portfolio dropped a little over 1%.

That is NOT bad at all hendi!
Rough day? No dividend cut or freeze announcements, income stayed the same after going up by recent Coke and PG increase announcements. More announcements to come this month and more dividends to be reinvested.

It was not rough from my perspective.
(04-10-2014, 09:45 PM)rnsmth Wrote: Rough day? No dividend cut or freeze announcements, income stayed the same after going up by recent Coke and PG increase announcements. More announcements to come this month and more dividends to be reinvested.

Essentially, I'm with you Ron. Despite all the gyrations I heard about on the radio, I looked at Yahoo! Finance less than I normally do.

Other than wishing I had some cash to take a couple positions I've been watching for a while, I actually felt a little bored. Why can't they do this in Mar/June/Sept/Dec -- my big div reinvestment months? Angry
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(04-10-2014, 09:45 PM)rnsmth Wrote: Rough day? No dividend cut or freeze announcements, income stayed the same after going up by recent Coke and PG increase announcements. More announcements to come this month and more dividends to be reinvested.

Spoken like a true DGer!
Yes it was down quite bad today, but as I am trying to learn, dont get upset at a drop and sweat the daily beating use it as an opportunity to pickup something else.

Oh phooeey, that hurt. It coulda been worse.

Jimbo
I hear what people are saying when such claims are made, just wonder how many of those individuals folded when net worth dropped 50% or more and everyone was ultra scared in 2008/2009. With a relatively small portfolio, sharp drops are welcomed as buying opportunities, but with mature portfolios of individuals near retirement, it is much more difficult to take a cavalier attitude toward massive drops like take place during the worst of bear markets.
Alex