Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to expand my dividend income watch list
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated, outside of the tobacco realm of course. Beside that one exclusion, candidates must have a current yield greater than 5%, have a history of dividend increases, and engage in business that is not overly interest rate sensitive.

Am not interested in additional MLP's nor REITs as weighting is already full pool. Perhaps interested in utility area, but tough to get past the 5% yield threshold.

Perhaps 5% with perceived safety is just not possible in today's yield chasing environment. Still would appreciate your thoughts.
Alex
SO is at 4.6%. I have it.

I have an underweight position in SDRL, but I think you already have that.

Other than that, I am in REIT land for that level of current yield
I had SO a long time ago, in the $33-$35 price range, hindsight says that I should have held the shares long term, but wasn't of that frame of mind at the time. SO has come back to my tracking list again and got close to a buy a couple of months ago when dipped under $41, but I'm holding out for under $38 before making a buy. That will definitely happen with the first fed rate increase, when ever that comes. That is when I'll likely buy my long term batch of SO shares.
Alex
Check out TGH and TAL, which are shipping container leasing companies. TGH sold off a bit last year due to several small shipping clients defaulting on their leasing contracts, and the dividend growth slowed down. You might be able to pick it up at a 5% yield.
Just revisited an old utilities watch list that I titled, yields greater than 5%. Only one utility on that list continues to yield over that mark at 5.3%. Problem is, the company has not had a dividend increase since 2008. Electric utility exposure will just have to wait until the fed. spooks the market, then I'll begin to feather in, via a couple of stronger players like SO and perhaps NEE.
Alex
I also own TGH and TAL and would throw BP out there as another option at a 4.7% yield.

Ensco (ESV) is a driller with a near 6% payout.

Orchids Paper (TIS) is another one getting talked up recently, with a 4.6% yield.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Nice list grouped by industry with yield and other info. Good source for DD candidates.

http://dividendhistory.org/reports/USA/2...report.htm

Thanks for the ideas so far. I'm leaning toward raising cash and waiting for bargains to appear, but one needs to have the wish list in place for when the prices actually do move into bargain territory.
Alex
The only utility on my watch list right now is Consolidated Edison.

I own some NWN already.

Both pay over 4% but under 5%.
AZN is yielding around 5.9%. They're not going to disappear on you but don't know why the yield is so high compared to other drug stocks.

It's getting tough to find yield without dipping into the REIT, MLP, BDC space.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan