Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRIP Problems
Hey guys,

I am currently invested in a few companies. I am looking at building a core for my portfolio.

I like using a platform to reinvest dividends automatically (although they take 1% commission).

The problem I am facing is with high cost stocks. Currently I plan to get some JNJ or PG in there, I want to invest around $5000 between them. When the dividends are paid they cannot be reinvested into fractions of shares, I can only invest if I have a full amount (JNJ around $97).

This means I will not benefit from compounding.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks
(04-02-2014, 08:48 AM)Star Wrote: Hey guys,

I am currently invested in a few companies. I am looking at building a core for my portfolio.

I like using a platform to reinvest dividends automatically (although they take 1% commission).

The problem I am facing is with high cost stocks. Currently I plan to get some JNJ or PG in there, I want to invest around $5000 between them. When the dividends are paid they cannot be reinvested into fractions of shares, I can only invest if I have a full amount (JNJ around $97).

This means I will not benefit from compounding.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks

Open an account at Fidelity or any of a number of companies that will gladly reinvest dividends into fractional shares with no commission cost. I mention Fidelity because it is the one we use
I use Sharebuilder and Schwab and they both reinvest at no cost.

I've also heard that Scottrade is a good site for dividend reinvestment.
Yeah, don't walk -- RUN -- from any brokerage that wants 1% to reinvest dividends. Plenty of places will gladly do that for free, fractional shares and all. I know Vanguard does, too, as another example.
Thanks for the replies, Forgot to mention - I am in the UK..
(04-02-2014, 11:01 AM)Star Wrote: Thanks for the replies, Forgot to mention - I am in the UK..

I am in Mexico and use a US brokerage firm, but I started the account when I was in the USA
Don't know about the UK, but Computershare allows you to buy shares directly or you can transfer shares to setup drips. I'd contact the uk branch and see what they suggest.
(04-02-2014, 11:01 AM)Star Wrote: Thanks for the replies, Forgot to mention - I am in the UK..

Hi Star,

I am also a UK-based investor. Apart from investing directly in the companies' DRIP program, I could not find any broker in the UK that supported free automatic dividend re-investment. I believe Halifax sharebuilder supports fractional shares but I am not sure if they support them for US-based stocks.

Hope it helps!
My blog with what I consider the best dividend stocks
(04-02-2014, 04:16 PM)dividendventure Wrote:

Hi Star,

I am also a UK-based investor. Apart from investing directly in the companies' DRIP program, I could not find any broker in the UK that supported free automatic dividend re-investment. I believe Halifax sharebuilder supports fractional shares but I am not sure if they support them for US-based stocks.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Should have stated where I am!

Venture,

It's such a setback. I called fidelity the other day, they don't do fractional shares either. But on the flip side, they do not take a percentage of the DR.

What broker are you with may I ask?

Also, with regards to DRIPS directly, who do you use?

I've always thought that keeping track would be a tedious task. If something happened and I wanted to sell ASAP.

Thanks,
Star