Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core Holdings
This seems to be mentioned often, I wondered what you mean by Core Holdings?

To me core holding stocks are ones I've decided to buy and probably hold forever. I would only consider selling if the company was to merge with another or if management cut the dividend without cause (as I saw it). Otherwise I'd hold, re-invest the dividends and buy more every time the price dropped below my value price.

My other holdings are ones I bought because I believe they are good dividend growth stocks, have a good DG record (min 10 yrs) but I'm not as comfortable calling them a Core holding. I would look to sell these if they did not increase their dividend, where with a Core stock I'm not as concerned if the dividend is not raised every year.
I like the term core holding, but do not like the term 'hold forever' at all. Fore me, a core holding represents a position that has a target weighting and which has an after purchase sentiment of long term hold. It may be in the accumulation phase, at say 1/4 full, 1/2 full, 3/4 full. Or it may be topped out at maximum weighting. Any shares above the core holding may be more transient, for trading purposes. So a person may refer to trading around the core position.

The problem that I have with 'hold forever' is that for many folks, that means hold with very little if any review, almost never looking for a more suitable replacement. To me it just makes sense, at least a couple of times per year to review, and see how such a core holding stacks up against the alternative investments. If the reason for originally buying remains valid, great. But if there are better alternatives at the time, then perhaps it is time to make a change. Investors tend to get too comfortable or to fall in love with their 'hold forever' stocks, and to me, that is not a healthy mind set.
Alex
I have core holdings, but that does not mean hold and forget. In fact the original poster did not even say hold and forget without adding the qualifier "probably."

My mantra is buy and monitor, sell and replace.

When DRI had a horrid quarter recently, I sold it in a heartbeat. When INTC went to a fifth quarter without raising the dividend, I sold in a New York second. When KMB had recent sub 5% increase! I put it on probation. If next year's is below 5% it will be gone also.

There is no emotion in it. There are portfolio rules that are followed.

If you do not have a business plan with rules about when to sell, I suggest you develop one.
(04-01-2014, 09:54 AM)cannew Wrote: This seems to be mentioned often, I wondered what you mean by Core Holdings?

To me core holding stocks are ones I've decided to buy and probably hold forever. I would only consider selling if the company was to merge with another or if management cut the dividend without cause (as I saw it). Otherwise I'd hold, re-invest the dividends and buy more every time the price dropped below my value price.

My other holdings are ones I bought because I believe they are good dividend growth stocks, have a good DG record (min 10 yrs) but I'm not as comfortable calling them a Core holding. I would look to sell these if they did not increase their dividend, where with a Core stock I'm not as concerned if the dividend is not raised every year.

I agree with most of what you are saying about the Core holdings though, like others it does not mean hold forever, always keep a watchful eye.
To me Core is the base, strength, heart and sole of the portfolio, to me there can be several Core's.
But hey what do i know.
I will admit, I do get somewhat confused on some of the terminology thrown around and am constantly, googleing terminology.
Jimbo
I think people think of core holding as anything that resonates with their basic investment philosophy. For index investors, core holding would be an index fund tracking the S&P 500 perhaps, for a growth focused investor - something like GOOG or AAPL that an investor trusts will serve them well for the long haul.
(04-01-2014, 03:40 PM)rnsmth Wrote: My mantra is buy and monitor, sell and replace.

There is no emotion in it. There are portfolio rules that are followed.

If you do not have a business plan with rules about when to sell, I suggest you develop one.

Totally on board with this.
The idea of 'core holdings' flies in the face of what we all know: change is the essence of reality. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not even in my lifetime, but change will come.

Is there anything that does not change?

Basic human needs do not change. I commented on this in another topic, copied here.
  • Food = GIS. To my mind, this is the single most important stock for any investor. GIS provides basic nutrition on a massive scale, and has done so for over a century. It has paid a dividend for 115 years, and it has never reduced its dividend in that time.
  • Water = ???. I defer to CCC experts on this. I know there is at least one water company on the list, but I have never bothered to inform myself. Take your pick.
  • Energy = KMR. For the USA investor, this is an income generator par excellence.
  • Addiction = PM. If you think addiction is not a human need, look around.