Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come on guys, time to open up a bit!
I'm a 52 year old College Prof (I teach theatre), and I see myself about 15 years from retirement. I love my job so I won't go until they start poking me with a very sharp stick! I was never interested in investing or really fiances at all (save I'd read alot of Dave Ramsey books--they're all the same) and let my TIAA-CEFT do my investing for my retirement... and hoped for the best.

My Father passed away a little over two years ago. My brother's and I all knew he was well off, but he always lived below his means. As a young man my father told me "the secret to becoming wealthy is to spend less than you make." Didn't think much of his advice until he passed and the estate came to us.

This put me in change of a considerable portfolio--the likes of which I was simply not accustomed to (still am not fully). And so I began my self-education process on finance and investment. Finally deciding that Index and Value dividend investing was the two best courses of action.

I'm starting late in the game (my retirement account had less that $100,000 in it when my father passed), but I have a good amount of "catch up" capitol to deploy.

Personally, I enjoy hunting and collecting firearms, motorcycle (like to take at least one 2 week plus trike on the bike a year), obviously theatre and movies, and travel. Married and I live in an old School house--which is charming and frustrating at the same time.

We're doing a remodel too, which is both wonderful and frustrating (my house has a theme, huh?) But as we get to the end of the project, its truing into a lovely place for me and Manny to spend the "second half." I had done the upstairs myself, and then decided to leave the rest to the professionals;-)

IF we ever have a DGF bike rally (or Hog hunt) count me in !!!

Ronn

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-14-2013, 12:49 PM)TomK Wrote: The pics are pretty small -- is that you standing in a lake?

This photo was taken in the Jug of Salome Canyon, central Arizona. I've done a bit of canyoneering, great sport if you live in the desert southwest....
(10-14-2013, 01:23 PM)ronn38 Wrote: Personally, I enjoy hunting and collecting firearms, motorcycle (like to take at least one 2 week plus trike on the bike a year), obviously theatre and movies, and travel. Married and I live in an old School house--which is charming and frustrating at the same time.

Thanks for the insights Ronn. My father in law is a gun enthusiast. He's got quite a few, but his really passion is collecting pistols and rifles from the old west -- old colts and winchesters and the such. He's got a lot of them displayed nicely on the walls. I've gone target shooting with him several times. He has said that he is leaving the collection to us one day, so I guess I'd better learn a thing or two about them.

I love to see movies, but usually am not able to go often. I've done a better job in 2013, though mostly with the big-budget action / sci-fi stuff. If you are serious about your art, perhaps those aren't the types of movies you're into. Just saw Gravity -- I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.
OK, you talked me into it, changed the pic and wrote a quick, uninteresting bit about myself.

Jim
I'll get around to posting a bit more, and finding a photo. In the meantime, a link to my blog is in my sig and there is quite a bit of content there