Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dividend Announcement Thread!
D becomes a sell now. This is stripping Dominion of valuable assets in exchange for much needed cash. The deal with Buffett is good for Berkshire and bad for Dominion shareholders. Time to switch D into DUK
(07-05-2020, 05:02 PM)divmenow Wrote: D becomes a sell now.  This is stripping Dominion of valuable assets in exchange for much needed cash. The deal with Buffett is good for Berkshire and bad for Dominion shareholders. Time to switch D into DUK

I agree this was a bad deal for D shareholders. But lets give credit the Mr. Buffet. Great deal for him when everyone wrote him off. I don't know which way D will trade on Monday but I feel it will be down at least 4-5 points. I just hope it allows me to get out with a minimal loss. 

I will be selling on Monday in favor of another Utility.
Well they sold my least favorite assets. I guess I have some research to do tomorrow. I have a modest sized position with a cost basis around $76 so hopefully I won't get killed too bad if I decide to dump it. Hopefully the Covid resurgence doesn't choke the economy much or a number of major UTEs will be at least somewhat challenged for a few quarters.
This really sucks, as I felt D management would do all it could to preserve the dividend.

This coupled with the expected cut from WFC makes for a bit of a jolt to my future income projections.

Fortunately I've had a good start in income for the first half of the year so I can probably manage it and keep my double-digit growth target intact. Looks like Buffet is again taking advantage of over-leveraged companies to pick up nice assets for BRK.

Question now is do I move the funds into DUK or SO that have similar yields, or split it out between other stocks I already own and take a cut. D was my largest utility holding, so I have some decisions to make.

SRE was a recent add for me, and I've been considering UGI as well. Either would be a drop in income, but probably have better growth prospects as well.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Eric,

I'd go slowly. I won't panic sell a big dip if there happens to be one. I'm not so sure there will be. I don't regret selling my dividend cutters, but almost without exception they have recovered in share price within days or weeks. There was a better time to move to better income streams.

I've given up guessing where share prices are going in the short-term. The heightened political risk is sure making this harder. Nat gas isn't going away, but there may be moments when we get buying opportunities.
(07-06-2020, 04:56 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Eric,

I'd go slowly. I won't panic sell a big dip if there happens to be one. I'm not so sure there will be. I don't regret selling my dividend cutters, but almost without exception they have recovered in share price within days or weeks. There was a better time to move to better income streams.

I've given up guessing where share prices are going in the short-term. The heightened political risk is sure making this harder. Nat gas isn't going away, but there may be moments when we get buying opportunities.

D is up $1+ pre market, i will sell at 83.50 and see where to buy something else. Thinking SO at the moment but not in a hurry.
(07-06-2020, 06:13 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 04:56 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Eric,

I'd go slowly.  I won't panic sell a big dip if there happens to be one.  I'm not so sure there will be.  I don't regret selling my dividend cutters, but almost without exception they have recovered in share price within days or weeks.  There was a better time to move to better income streams.

I've given up guessing where share prices are going in the short-term.  The heightened political risk is sure making this harder.  Nat gas isn't going away, but there may be moments when we get buying opportunities.

D is up $1+ pre market, i will sell at 83.50 and see where to buy something else. Thinking SO at the moment but not in a hurry.
D is down almost $2 now in the pre-market. I hope you sold it at $83.50 lol. And yes SO is a good buy here with the yield at 5%.
I'll be surprised if that holds but I am not in a hurry either. We'll see if D professes their desire to be like XEL and NEE. If so the market will be OK with the new plan soon enough. Leaning green is the trend and that isn't going away soon, if ever. Saying it and doing it efficiently are two different things. XEL and NEE didn't wake up one morning and completely upset their current plans like D apparently just did. I am glad most of my UTEs are in regulated markets. If I want to go play fossil fuel price swings I know where to find that elsewhere.
CHARLOTTE, N.C., July 6, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy today declared a quarterly cash dividend on its common
stock of $0.965, an increase of $0.02 per share. This dividend is payable on Sept. 16, 2020, to shareholders of record
at the close of business Aug. 14, 2020.
(07-06-2020, 12:38 PM)MikeWa Wrote: CHARLOTTE, N.C., July 6, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy today declared a quarterly cash dividend on its common
stock of $0.965, an increase of $0.02 per share. This dividend is payable on Sept. 16, 2020, to shareholders of record

That’s why DUK is a great investment! I just read that news a little while ago. Very nice.. D shareholders time to switch lol
(07-06-2020, 01:00 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 12:38 PM)MikeWa Wrote: CHARLOTTE, N.C., July 6, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy today declared a quarterly cash dividend on its common

That’s why DUK is a great investment! I just read that news a little while ago. Very nice.. D shareholders time to switch lol
They just announced a $2.5B charge against earnings next quarter.  They didn't come out of the pipeline fiasco unscathed by a longshot.
(07-06-2020, 01:15 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 01:00 PM)divmenow Wrote:

They just announced a $2.5B charge against earnings next quarter.  They didn't come out of the pipeline fiasco unscathed by a longshot.

Wrong!! This was a bad investment from the beginning. This is good news that they are ending the project. The fact that they can still raise the dividend is very positive. I have to disagree with you this time, Sorry lol 

A company that will benefit from this will be WMB. I don’t have a position but they should get a lot of this pipeline business now.