Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dividend Announcement Thread!
(01-19-2021, 09:46 PM)vbin Wrote: Curious if you guys follow a strategy arround these div announcements?

Mostly no after the fact. If I have a company due for a raise and they have a good rep for large div raises I might grab few shares if they happen to be down.  Usually the time lag from announcement to ex-div is sufficiently long enough and the market provides an entry if you are interested in adding.
(01-19-2021, 09:46 PM)vbin Wrote: Curious if you guys follow a strategy arround these div announcements?

Not generally, but there are times when it can be a good time to buy.

For instance, ABBV announced a 10% dividend increase back in October, which pushed the forward yield to nearly 6.5%. This was a bigger increase than many expected, and locking in the higher yield at the time was a good move to make. Shares are up $30 since the announcement.

Can be a good time to add to utilities as well. With some now down 20% from 52-week highs, adding a 7% increase to the payout on top of that is a nice way to pick up a little extra yield.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(01-20-2021, 12:21 AM)EricL Wrote:

Not generally, but there are times when it can be a good time to buy.

For instance, ABBV announced a 10% dividend increase back in October, which pushed the forward yield to nearly 6.5%. This was a bigger increase than many expected, and locking in the higher yield at the time was a good move to make. Shares are up $30 since the announcement.

Can be a good time to add to utilities as well. With some now down 20% from 52-week highs, adding a 7% increase to the payout on top of that is a nice way to pick up a little extra yield.
What UTEs are you looking at ERIc? I actually need to add a few UTEs in my portfolio.
Here is my utility watch list.

With the pullback there are quite a few projected for double-digit annual returns now.

I stick to ones growing at least 5% annually, and am long AWK, D, NEE, SRE, WEC and XEL, but there are several other high quality ones too.
I tend to like the same UTEs Eric does. His list is good though I wouldn't add much NEE right now. (And I'll surely be wrong for saying that lol). I already own quite a lot of NEE.

I've been picking up the following UTEs, shares and/or selling puts.

XEL-AEP-WEC-DUK look good here. Most of them will very likely be good for a 10% pop when the market circles back around looking for a dividend. IMO UTEs are over-reacting to interest rate increases. I believe that will happen but rates are not going up nearly enough to make a UTE yield look unattractive. That would crush the economy and the market. There are a lot of UTEs that are not down. ALE is up 20% since I started yapping about it here. I have no clue why but I see no need to buy anything that isn't high quality AND on sale now. I am at risk of gong overweight UTEs and I am good with that here.
ONE Gas (NYSE:OGS) declares $0.58/share quarterly dividend, 7.4% increase from prior dividend of $0.54.
Forward yield 3.25%
Payable March 5; for shareholders of record Feb. 19; ex-div Feb. 18.
J.B. Hunt Transport Services (NASDAQ:JBHT) declares $0.28/share quarterly dividend, 3.7% increase from prior dividend of $0.27.
Forward yield 0.76%
Payable Feb. 19; for shareholders of record Feb. 5; ex-div Feb. 4.
BlackRock (NYSE: BLK) declares $4.13/share quarterly dividend, 13.8% increase from prior dividend of $3.63.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3653209-bl...ividend-14
Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) declares $0.3475/share quarterly dividend, 5.3% increase from prior dividend of $0.33.
Forward yield 2.24%.
Payable March 1; for shareholders of record Feb. 7; ex-div Feb. 4.
KMB just raised the dividend. In their report it says:

"Dividend increase of 6.5 percent (approved by the Board of Directors and mentioned previously in this release). The quarterly dividend will increase to $1.14 per share, up from $1.07 per share in 2020. The first dividend will be payable on April 5, 2021 to stockholders of record on March 5, 2021."
Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) declares $0.99/share quarterly dividend, 5.3% increase from prior dividend of $0.94.
Forward yield 1.66%
Payable March 10; for shareholders of record Feb. 5; ex-div Feb. 4.
Tractor Supply (NASDAQ:TSCO) declares $0.52/share quarterly dividend, 30% increase from prior dividend of $0.40.
Forward yield 1.37%
Payable March 9; for shareholders of record Feb. 22; ex-div Feb. 19.