Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGI for the New DGI'er close to retirement
(03-10-2014, 08:33 AM)hendi_alex Wrote: However, Utilities, REITs, and Telecom are usually not given much respect in the DG realm. These traditional widows and orphans stocks tend to be low growth, higher yielding income stocks, but generally don't pass muster as DG stocks.

Alex, I agree with you. They don't get the "press" that other DGI stalwarts do. I still consider them dividend growth stocks as long as they're well chosen.

My thoughts are slowly evolving on those industries. In the last year, I've added some utilities and REITs. Both the wife and I have held telecoms, specifically T and VOD (now gone), for several years. I added TU and RCI during the Verizon scare last year and have been happy with them despite the currency issue. I know over a several year period the exchange rate yo-yo will even out.

As I approach my 60s, I think it's becoming prudent to add more of these slower growers with the higher yields although I'm still hanging on to some of those faster growers. Counting on them for the following 20 years also.

I think the most important part is to have a plan and a projected budget. Am I sounding like a broken record here? We don't live high on the hog so achieving an income greater than what I made whilst working seems excessive to me. As I've said before elsewhere, we are on target for living comfortably in our "older age".
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
RE: DGI for the New DGI'er close to retirement - by Dividend Watcher - 03-10-2014, 09:35 PM