Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGI for the New DGI'er close to retirement
I mean the dividend flow divided by the current market value of the holdings. I can see how you are achieving your yield as your portfolio seems to represent a nice array of traditional income stocks. However, Utilities, REITs, and Telecom are usually not given much respect in the DG realm. These traditional widows and orphans stocks tend to be low growth, higher yielding income stocks, but generally don't pass muster as DG stocks.

Look at the names that dominate forum for individual DG stocks. Tickers like WMT, KO, PG, PEP, TGT, SMJ, MCD, AAPL, IBM, QCOM, DE, CAT, etc. are the main topics of discussion. I have posted a few threads there, tossing out ideas that are outside these typical DG tickers, including stocks such as O, KMI/KMP, SDRL, and REITs in general. But I don't get the feeling that other than the cigarette companies, most of the pure DG investors here are getting a current market yield of anywhere close to 4%.

My current holdings: AA AAPL BTU CCJ CSCO CSG ECA GE HCP INTC KMI MCY NAT O OB ORI PAA POT RYN SDRL SNH SPH SSL T TGP

I'm into dividends but am not very patient with the prospects for a DG portfolio. I am eager for current cash flow now, not cash flow in 30 years! As DG stocks get beaten down into extreme value range with yields north of 4%, maybe 3% for a few, I'll add some to my long term portfolio. For now, the portfolio kicks out over 6% cash flow, and I patiently wait for future opportunity in the DG realm.

The portfolio kicks out about 3.9% in dividends and kicks out much more from call and put sales.
Alex

Messages In This Thread
RE: DGI for the New DGI'er close to retirement - by hendi_alex - 03-10-2014, 08:33 AM