Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGI for the New DGI'er close to retirement
(03-08-2014, 01:58 PM)rnsmth Wrote: At the age of 45 I was in grad school investing in myself and borrowing 10,000 a year to make that investment. It was worth it, but today, in the aftermath of the Great Recession, there are many people who are barely hanging on. Also, many 45 year olds have kids entering college and aging parents to help. The 10k a year scenario is not feasible for many, I fear.

When you read that the majority of people have saved little, have no pension other than SS, you are right, $10k is not within their means.

Regardless of their current earnings and position, most manage to have cell phones, spend money on junk food, buy lottery tickets and any number of items they could do without. I'm not saying they could ever mass a large sum, but they do have options and could save small amount.

Invested wisely in DG stocks, I'd suggest DRIP's and OSP where the investment can be minimal and with no fees attached. What they could expect is a growing income stream to offset their expenses and help with the rising cost of inflation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: DGI for the New DGI'er close to retirement - by cannew - 03-09-2014, 06:47 PM