Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Love This Dividend Investing Thingie
(03-05-2014, 05:42 PM)hendi_alex Wrote: I don't trust any single investing philosophy, so only would trust DGI strategies for a max of perhaps 25% of the portfolio value. And as a current retiree, would not buy a single DGI stock for long term hold unless it was yielding north of 4%. If younger would probably consider up the the 25% figure, but would only be buying/accumulating when shares were selling at a steep discount to current values.

Alex,
Excellent points. I am interpreting this as having a portfolio of many "types" of assets. I do have to disagree with the buy and hold 4% or greater comment. Here is a decade look at the S&P vs PG, JNJ, KO, and T. All but T are below 4%:

[Image: big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=sp500&uf=0&t...mocktick=1]

Trying To Beat The Market Is A Fool's Errand

This is a wonderful perspective for those concerned with returns.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1752582-...ols-errand

Chuck is a Rock Star! OK, can't see him on stage with Bruce Springsteen...but he deserves to be on the Rushmore of Investors next to Graham, Buffett, etc.

The best advice I heard recently was to turn off the Talking Heads on TV, turn off your computer, put the newspaper down and go play with the Grandkids. If you have chosen reliable companies with a good track record they will go up and down with Mr. Market but in the end they will most assuredly be UP.

Contemplate this on your Saturday jog:...if you only purchased stocks that were Dividend Champions (25+ years of dividend increases) or Contenders (10 to 24 years of dividend increases) how would you have faired during the Great Recession of 2007-2009? Hint: Many of those companies ARE STILL Champions or Contenders.

http://dripinvesting.org/tools/tools.asp
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Love This Dividend Investing Thingie - by Robandcindy2 - 03-08-2014, 07:56 AM