Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Companies
When I read about different companies while doing basic research, two of the most interesting companies I come across is UTX (United Technologies Corporation) and LMT (Lockheed Martin Corporation). Interesting not only as possible investments but just damn interesting in general! They are about as close as you can get to a James Bond or Batman gadget lab, maybe it's just the kid in me.

Two other companies that interest me are CAT and DE, maybe because I like my riding mower more then my car! Again, the kid in me.

Although I believe UTX/LMT/CAT/DE are great long term investments and deserve ones due diligence in further research as future investments this post is more about just liking a company because I believe they have that COOL factor. Of course, I would never throw money "IN" just because I thought a company was cool.

Out of curiosity, this is more for fun then anything else...

"What companies fall into that COOL category for you?"

I am Long CAT
Just based on cool factor, I am with you there on the aerospace sector - companies like LMT, BA, NOC etc.

Also, I would add Elon Musk companies - Tesla and SpaceX.
HRS, RTN, LMT and UNP have a nerd-cool appeal to me

I also like a lot of "guy behind the guy" companies ... not up front cool, but allow other companies to do cool things ... ACN, AGU, BR, CMI, DCI, GWW, INGR, PH, QCOM, ROK

I doubt I'd ever buy some, but OMEX is my favorite publicly traded company in this category. They research and recover gold, silver, and other valuables from old shipwrecks. Adventure galore. Sadly seems to be pretty poorly managed company. (Perhaps as you'd expect!)
Polaris (PII) for me. They make ATV's, snowmobiles, Indian & Victory motorcycles. Who doesn't like investing in a company that makes big boy toys?

Thor Industries (THO) is pretty cool as well. They make RV's and have a sweet name.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
There is a company called Organovo (onvo) that 3D prints human tissues. Aside from the obvious potential of printing you a new organ, their near term opportunity is toxicity testing as a service to major pharma companies. I don't know much about them though or whether the technology is useful yet.
RCI Hospitality (RICK).    

Did a lot of market research here many years ago. Guess that's partly why I'm on my 2nd wife. Big Grin

I have a soft spot for manufacturing, almost any type of manufacturing. I find it fascinating to watch things work but find it hard to keep my hands off. If I had to pick one, it would be General Dynamics. My boat was built there and I was on the Plankowner crew. Amazing things they accomplished.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(07-22-2015, 11:37 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: RCI Hospitality (RICK).

Did a lot of market research here many years ago. Guess that's partly why I'm on my 2nd wife. Big Grin

Lol! I had forgotten about RICK! Excellent addition to this list.

I once thought of creating my own "sin stocks" motif, and RICK would have figured prominently. I have a buddy who range trades it successfully.
I'm actually thinking of adding UA to my Roth even tho it currently pays no dividend. Their clothing is miles above the stuff from Nike and Reebok and others

I'd also strongly consider buying UBER should it IPO

UA and UBER are two companies I'm quickly hurtling towards not being able to live without

In the dividend-less clothing company world, I'd also keep an eye on LULU. They make great quality stuff, and have a ton of room to grow.
(07-23-2015, 09:53 AM)Kerim Wrote: In the dividend-less clothing company world, I'd also keep an eye on LULU. They make great quality stuff, and have a ton of room to grow.

Didnt they recently have see through yoga pants and a CEO get booted/"quit"?
(07-23-2015, 11:51 PM)navyasw02 Wrote:
(07-23-2015, 09:53 AM)Kerim Wrote: In the dividend-less clothing company world, I'd also keep an eye on LULU. They make great quality stuff, and have a ton of room to grow.

Didnt they recently have see through yoga pants and a CEO get booted/"quit"?

Yeah they had to recall because of the see-thru pants issue. I dont follow the company as closely but I think the founder of the company came back and took over the CEO position.
I am into yoga myself, and I dont know if its because its a Canadian company (and I live in Canada), most ppl have a cult-like following for Lululemon stuff. Ive bought a few products there and really like the quality and dont mind paying extra for it, but some of the things are just ridiculously overpriced. But theres a market for it...and ppl love it.