Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 YTD
+0.6%when calculated Friday. Not much of a start compared to 2013, but a little above the S&P500 which is unchanged YTD. We do have quite a few dividends hitting the pot in the next 30 days.
Alex
That's pretty good especially since I believe the market is basically flat for the year still.

My gains have been much higher, but this is mostly due to my large allocation to bonds.

I'm still slowly increasing my stock allocation.

It will be very interesting to see what the market brings in the coming months!
Decent bounce yesterday, to 1.0%. Holding on to most of the gain today, still at +0.8%.
Alex
Mine: -1.5%
Wife's: -1.1%

as of today's close. But our dividend stream is up. Big Grin
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Because of fairly active trading in our main accounts, I don't even keep track of the dividend stream. But with all of the covered call writing, the cash flow, dividends plus call income, is quite large. Guess I'll start keeping track of the dividend stream in the long term account, but it is currently funded so low at under $50K, just have not bothered thus far.

Just paused while typing this post and set up a tracking portfolio. Here is a copy. Looks like dividends have been a bit stagnant over the year, up a tad, but nothing like has been reported from most DG stocks. Still the average yield is north of 5% and in spite of low dividend growth, NAV is up 24% over 1year (average duration of incremental funding). So far the portfolio has given a very acceptable total return. Wish my bigger accounts had done as well! Yield against purchase, which I don't really track, would have to be north of 6%.

Cash account with long term dividend positions
[Image: 12675080975_12a29b8c26_o.png]

note: I have almost constantly employed some level of margin, on the average about 25% to 33% of the account value. Currently margin is at the high end, at 44% of the account value. Margin amount will never exceed what could be offset with fresh funding in a given year.
Alex
Up, down, sideways my course of action is the same

Prices fluctuate, dividend income increases.

That is the way it is for average to good dividend growth investors who do their DD and rarely trade
For our IRAs I enjoy seeing dividends hitting the pot, but don't pay too much attention to that one metric, as the dividends tend to have no greater impact than options income or capital gains. I'm only interested in the NAV growth from one year to the next.

For the dividend portfolio, I pay most attention to yield on current NAV. For now the minimum acceptable average yield is 5%. If the market yield falls below 5%, I'll probably look for some suitable replacements that will provide the required yield.
Alex
(02-21-2014, 10:21 PM)hendi_alex Wrote: For our IRAs I enjoy seeing dividends hitting the pot, but don't pay too much attention to that one metric, as the dividends tend to have no greater impact than options income or capital gains. I'm only interested in the NAV growth from one year to the next.

For the dividend portfolio, I pay most attention to yield on current NAV. For now the minimum acceptable average yield is 5%. If the market yield falls below 5%, I'll probably look for some suitable replacements that will provide the required yield.

I suggest you pay a bit more attention to dividend increases. Pay raises matter.