Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VOD
Sold it in my wife's IRA today.

The more I looked at it, the more I didn't think it would be worth hanging in there for the VZ purchase and distribution.

Don't really want VZ in her portfolio because of the additional debt VZ was taking on. We only had 55 shares and, with the reverse split, we would have few ADRs afterwards either necessitating purchasing more to be a significant holding or getting rid of the few ADRs we had left. The cash infusion would've been nice.

We'll wait until the dust settles before I decide what to do next. She already has Telus (TU) so she does have some telecom exposure with a 4% yield.

The transaction proxy was a bear to read through and understand and I'm still not sure of what management was planning to do.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

The Ex-Date is only 9 days away (unless it's been changed recently). And AT&T is still in play, though AT&T will have to wait for a while. I'm going to hold on (I just received $117 dividend and I'd be on the hook for $2000 short term capital gains if I sold).
kayboy, that's perfectly understandable. If we held more shares, I probably would have also. VOD could be a different company going forward. I'm still kicking myself for not buying more shares when it was at $25 last year but can't remember the reason why I didn't. The short-term capital gains would be an "ouch" also.

I already own T and I'm trying to keep from duplicating our portfolios too much.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(02-15-2014, 04:15 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: kayboy, that's perfectly understandable. If we held more shares, I probably would have also. VOD could be a different company going forward. I'm still kicking myself for not buying more shares when it was at $25 last year but can't remember the reason why I didn't. The short-term capital gains would be an "ouch" also.

I already own T and I'm trying to keep from duplicating our portfolios too much.

Finally concluded the VOD/VZ payoff. For 200 shares of VOD. I received 110 shares of VOD, 53 shares of VZ and a $1038.00 dividend. Ends up being about $100 more than the valuation of my VOD on 2/21/14. WOO-HOO. So much for the $130B windfall. I'll keep both for a while and see what happens. I think I'd rather have T, though.