Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing The Forum
This conversation broke out in the CVX thread. Moving it here as it has nothing to do with CVX!

(02-08-2014, 09:19 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: More importantly, I'm wondering why more of the smart people registered here don't post more. Huh

Appreciate the thought, DW. I think the answer is that we are still a pretty small group. I don't think we've reached critical mass / tipping point yet that will make this a much more active forum. I share your concern, and my instinct is to try and do a bit more marketing to attract new members. I once posed that question to the group, and most of the responses favored not pursuing growth aggressively. People seemed to like that it was still pretty small, quiet (and civil!).

But I worry that if things do not pick up some, we will lose momentum and peter out.

Right now, the only real marketing that I do is to post occasional links to relevant threads here over on SA. I'd love to hear opinions about whether I should be more aggressive about marketing the site. And I'd love ideas about how I / we can attract more quality members to get the activity level up a bit.

Thanks!
(02-09-2014, 10:46 AM)Kerim Wrote: But I worry that if things do not pick up some, we will lose momentum and peter out.

Which was the precise reason I brought it up. Thanks for breaking it out of the other thread.

It may be small but seems we have some knowledgeable people here. I understand the dynamics of a message boards and I guess it should be expected.

The benefit is here, versus a comment thread on SA or authoring an article, allows for a more informal discussion and discussion of gut feelings rather than trying to justify everything you say with facts and statistics.

What I cringe thinking about is some perma-bears or gold bugs showing up and starting arguments over nothing.

So, that being said, let's hope more contribute. I certainly add my share but it's only my opinion. I like to hear others. They're often more insightful than mine.

And once again, Kerim, thanks for providing this place. (Rolleyes Maybe installing a hot tub would bring in more participants. Big Grin)
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Completely my pleasure. I agree that a forum has several advantages over comments to an article. The biggest being that you can start new topics and seeks advice about your portfolio or decisions without having to write an article (or hope someone posts one that gives you an opportunity to ask your question).

One thing I've noticed that really helps the activity level is starting new threads on a variety of topics. I consider that one of my jobs here, but I am in the midst of a work crush the likes of which I haven't seen in a decade. I feel like I've been at my office around the clock since about Thanksgiving (I'm at my desk right now, in fact). It should subside in early March, and I plan to get back to giving this project more of my attention then. You and Rob, especially, (though others too!) have been doing a nice job of that lately, and I really appreciate it.

I agree about the gold bugs and perma bears, and for that reason I'll never start throwing up links to this place over at sites like Yahoo. Though I will say that I have occasionally wondered if there is too much civility and consensus here. Good conversations need some differing opinions to really flourish, and forums can be truly engaging when members have folks that they like, and like to spar with.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Back to work for me!
(02-09-2014, 03:14 PM)Kerim Wrote: Though I will say that I have occasionally wondered if there is too much civility and consensus here. Good conversations need some differing opinions to really flourish, and forums can be truly engaging when members have folks that they like, and like to spar with.

Agreed. I wish more would disagree or expound more on their thoughts. I like to be challenged; it makes me think through my position more and sometimes changes my mind. That's how we all grow our mental processes. Of course, you can do that civily which is the reason I usually append "to me" to my comments. That's how I see it or operate at the time. I'm open to change my mind if it makes sense.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Have you tried teaming up with some of the more engaging seeking alpha writers? Maybe they can join here, or send people over?
I think I was one of the people that said I'm happy with it being pretty quiet here. I think I stand by that. But also I think you should not be so pessimistic -- it is much more active here than even the last time we had that conversation. And though it is slow, it feels to me like steady progress. New folks seem to be joining up pretty regularly, and some of them have become active posters. I think if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll see continued growth at a nice pace. And there may be a danger in growing too quickly, too, if the place gets overrun with blowhards.
To me there is a fine line where a forum gives optimal benefit. Too little activity and the forum tends to whither. To many posts and sifting through the information becomes tedious, with many good posts being lost in filtering process. I think that somewhere between 15 to 25 posts per day is probably optimal.
Alex
On my, today was a very active day. Some very good discussions started and some new members posting. I kept popping in (well, left my browser logged in) between working a few hours, visiting my mother-in-law at "the home", getting some half-priced Valentine's candy for the wife (a whole 'nother story), doing dishes, cooking dinner and getting the laundry done.

Thanks, Kerim, for this board. I've been ruminating on some points brought up all day.
=====

(02-15-2014, 10:32 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Oh my, today was a very active day. Some very good discussions started and some new members posting.

Nice day, indeed. Funny how that happens right when I / we start wringing hands that it is too quiet.

(02-15-2014, 10:32 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: getting some half-priced Valentine's candy for the wife (a whole 'nother story)

Alex may be available to renovate your dog house if you'll be sleeping out there for more than a night or two... Huh

(02-15-2014, 10:32 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Thanks, Kerim, for this board. I've been ruminating on some points brought up all day.

And thanks so much for all of your contributions and thoughtful posts!
Several new members and more insight popping up. Great job!

This is becoming a place to think through some ideas and getting feedback. Invaluable.
=====