Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CVX
Finally! Although I hate to say it, CVX has come down to a better entry point after staying above it's fair value (to me) for over a year.

EPS dropped 34% due to lower production and higher OpEx this past quarter. Stock price is down about 11% over the last couple weeks. Now I can reinvest at a much better value. With a low payout ratio, I'm not worried about any dividend issues.

Won't be adding here since, even with the latest drop, it's now the 2nd largest holding and one I should've trimmed but I'm loving that almost 5% YOC dividend stream.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I bought some at 116 a few days ago. A little early I guess. I'd like to buy some more but no funds to deploy at the moment. Good entry point and I think the dividend will support it from dropping too much lower.
I'm looking at it too, I'd like to double my exposure to it. Really can't go wrong with CVX at a fair price.

Ronn
COP at a 4% looks good as well. Very well run company growing production in the US.
Agree on both COP and CVX. I'm pretty comfortable with a big chunk of my portfolio allocated to big oil.
I wouldn't mind adding to my position in CVX. But it's my largest holding already - not sure what to do. I'm 47, in the accumulation phase, hoping to retire early-ish (57?). Have a chunk of capital I'm looking to put to work. If anyone is moved to offer their thoughts, I'm all ears.
(02-01-2014, 02:00 PM)Vincenzo Wrote: I wouldn't mind adding to my position in CVX. But it's my largest holding already - not sure what to do. I'm 47, in the accumulation phase, hoping to retire early-ish (57?). Have a chunk of capital I'm looking to put to work. If anyone is moved to offer their thoughts, I'm all ears.

CVX's move to stop selling tobacco products, announced this week, may have a positive effect. I'm curious to see their next move to ramp up provision of more health care services.
(02-07-2014, 07:10 AM)CritMass Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 02:00 PM)Vincenzo Wrote: I wouldn't mind adding to my position in CVX. But it's my largest holding already - not sure what to do. I'm 47, in the accumulation phase, hoping to retire early-ish (57?). Have a chunk of capital I'm looking to put to work. If anyone is moved to offer their thoughts, I'm all ears.

CVX's move to stop selling tobacco products, announced this week, may have a positive effect. I'm curious to see their next move to ramp up provision of more health care services.

You are confusing CVS with CVX.

CVS is a drug store chain.
CVX is an integrated oil company.
It's about time CVX stopped selling cigarettes! When those roughnecks lit up it kept lighting the oil on fire! Tongue Big Grin
(02-08-2014, 09:36 AM)Kerim Wrote: It's about time CVX stopped selling cigarettes! When those roughnecks lit up it kept lighting the oil on fire! Tongue Big Grin
[Image: roflmao-smiley-face.gif] [Image: roflmao-smiley-face.gif] [Image: roflmao-smiley-face.gif]
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Oops. Yes, I confused my drug store for my gas station. Please pardon the faux pax. Hey, it's the weekend, ok?

This may explain why my "reputation" factor on this site remains at a sizzling score of "0".
(02-08-2014, 06:14 PM)CritMass Wrote: This may explain why my "reputation" factor on this site remains at a sizzling score of "0".

Don't take it personally -- seems to be a mostly unused feature of the forum software. Huh

Actually, I've been active lately in another forum (nothing to do with investing) and I really prefer the software they use over there. Instead of reputation, each user gets "points" for each post and when other users "like" a post. It has some other advantages too.

I'm not sure how hard it is to switch over while keeping all of the content and accounts intact, but maybe I'll look into it if I ever get bored.