Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utilities
WEC announced a dividend increase yesterday - they have raised multiple times in the past year as they grow their payout ratio to a board approved 65-70% (and they are not there yet) Feb 2014's dividend will be .39, up from .34 in Feb 2013, a 14.7% increase since then.

Alliant Energy Corporation ( LNT) declared $0.51/share quarterly dividend, 8.5% increase from prior dividend of $0.47.

Six of my 34 positions are utilities. These two are bringing home the bacon as though they were stalwart dividend growth stocks.
WEC has had a nice 10yr Div history and growth. It paid .415 cents in 2004 and is currently $1.45. That's a 294% growth. The price has followed but not quite at the same rate $160%.
Ron.

As we get closer to retirement, I'm thinking more and more about utilities. I did a quick screen of the 12/31/2013 CCC list. I used the following criteria:

1. Electric & Gas Utility - I like the 2 different revenue streams; heat and light
2. Yield > 3.25%
3. Chowder Number > 8

I was left with CMS Energy Corp. (CMS), Wisconsin Energy Corp. (WEC), Avista Corp. (AVA), Northeast Utilities (NU), Dominion Resources Inc. (D), Alliant Energy Corp. (LNT) and Southern Co. (SO).

Interesting list and am checking them all out again. I really like WEC but wondering how long this elevated streak can continue. It just seems so counterintuitive about what I've always thought of utilities. AVA also looks interesting due to its large renewable energy base load. They also just purchased the utility, Alaska Energy & Resources (privately held) in Juneau, AK.

Certainly looks like they're working for you.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(01-18-2014, 12:00 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Ron.

As we get closer to retirement, I'm thinking more and more about utilities. I did a quick screen of the 12/31/2013 CCC list. I used the following criteria:

1. Electric & Gas Utility - I like the 2 different revenue streams; heat and light
2. Yield > 3.25%
3. Chowder Number > 8

I was left with CMS Energy Corp. (CMS), Wisconsin Energy Corp. (WEC), Avista Corp. (AVA), Northeast Utilities (NU), Dominion Resources Inc. (D), Alliant Energy Corp. (LNT) and Southern Co. (SO).

Interesting list and am checking them all out again. I really like WEC but wondering how long this elevated streak can continue. It just seems so counterintuitive about what I've always thought of utilities. AVA also looks interesting due to its large renewable energy base load. They also just purchased the utility, Alaska Energy & Resources (privately held) in Juneau, AK.

Certainly looks like they're working for you.

Of your list, I hold WEC, AVA, LNT and SO. They are working for me and while I do not expect share price increases that are equal to the S&P 500, I do expect steady, safe and growing dividends. So far, I am getting that.
Long SO. Very overweighted in my taxable account, but am selling $6,500 annually to fund the Roth. Held it since around 2003. It's more than doubled in value with DRIPS. Cash cow. Plus, I live in their service area so it makes paying the monthly light bill SO easy. Pun intended.