Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COP vs CVX
With the energy sector down, I am thinking of adding to my current holdings. I own both COP and CVX and with both hitting near 1yr lows, I want to add to one. I only have a bit of cash, so I don't want to split to minimize commissions. Which stock would you guys add to? I'm thinking COP because of the higher dividend percentage, but both are good companies.
Lower trailing P/E & higher yield for COP right now. CVX might have a small edge in the moat department with their downstream stuff. IIRC, COP had higher LNG reserves last I looked and was focussing more on North America whereas CVX was more worldwide in focus.

COP is in my wife's portfolio and I hold CVX. I don't know if I could choose. Did you flip a coin? Maybe go with XOM instead and then you'd have the 'holy trinity'. Angel Depending on the ex dates, maybe wait a month and look again?

Choices, choices.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. CVX has the higher credit rating of AA compared to A for Conoco Phillips and also is more diversified as an integrated operator. This higher margin of safety is likely the difference being borne out in the market giving higher yields for COP than CVX.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I've got COP but the shares are covering May $67.5 calls that were sold for $3.40. I won't buy more shares above $60, which IMO will hit by April or May. Current shares were bought at $65.52 and are break even at this point, with the call income.
Alex