Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel (INTC) 52-Week High
(07-18-2014, 09:44 AM)ChadR Wrote: Didn't sell INTC. Though it's only 2% of my portfolio. Hasn't cut dividends yet so it didn't meet one of my criteria for selling. Kermin you're right. Holding long term means riding out periods like this. Glad I had the fortitude to do it with this one. Though it might have been a lot harder if it was 10% of my portfolio instead of just 2%.

I sold Intel last July and used the proceeds to buy IBM.

Intel is now up about 47% since I sold, while I am currently up 0.4% on IBM.

Intel still hasn't raised their dividend, while IBM raised theirs by 16% in April.

Short term it was a terrible trade. Long term is still to be decided...
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(07-17-2014, 11:03 PM)Kerim Wrote: Another reminder that holding long term means riding out down / sideways periods that can last for years.

I think this is something I'm going to add to my investment plan "Notable Quotes" section. Wise words but also because we've lived through it adds more meaning. I hope it's a lesson to be remembered when we're in the midst of the next extended downturn in the market.

Of course, this doesn't apply to companies that are struggling and not making any moves that make sense. INTC, in my mind, was making multiple moves to refocus the company going forward. I'll not re-hash them here.

Thanks, Kerim, for stating it so well.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I bought Intel some years ago at $21.34 with a current YOC of 4.14%, but the recent run-up in price has me considering selling my position of Intel as it clearly isn't a stable dividend grower. I haven't yet done it because it still pays dividends (although not growing them) and I have a high yield on cost on INTC. Difficult decisions Sad.
INTC was part of my portfolio for about 1.5 years. I bought in around the mid 19s, sold for 27 this year. Although I had made a nice profit, in retrospect it would have been better to hold on for awhile longer. The main thing with Intel is that they never raised their dividend for the time that I have held the stock and as such, disappointed by the lack of any dividend increase at all.

At this time, I am planning on using the proceeds of this sale to purchase some JNJ. Waiting for the right entry point.