Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McDonald's too expensive?
If you want the best and truly long term safe stock to invest I would look into CSCO, NTAP and ADSK. You cant get any safer than those.
I did it! I finally took the leap and bought 5 shares of mcd yesterday! I know it is small potatos (small fries? ha!) but that is a lot of money for me. I decided that this was as good a pullback as any to jump in on. I almost did it on thursday when the price was really down. Then when it started going up on friday, i thought no way am i gonna miss ANOTHER dip. My price was 97.26. I hit refresh almost every minute of the day after that!
Congrats bobby! Remember to try and think long term. No telling what will happen in the coming days and weeks, but over the years, I have no doubt that your purchase will give you steady rewards.
Well done Bobbyboy1970. I know that it can be nerve-wracking at first, but the instinct to check the price every minute will fade over time, especially with a safe, relatively stable stock like MCD. Another thing that will help you to sleep better at night is a little diversification. Right now, all of your eggs are in one basket, so you are really exposed to any moves in that one stock. But over time, as you add other stocks to your basket, it will get better. If MCD drops some from here, it will be important not to panic, but rather just get comfortable with how ownership feels and how the prices moves with changes in the company's news and prospects as well as with changes in the broader economy and market. If the price does drop from here, consider seeing it as an opportunity to pick up a few more shares (thereby lowering your average price) rather than as bad news. (Of course, if you do have more dry powder, you might also think about other companies to buy to get started on that diversification!)

Best of luck.
bobbyboy you're not going to go wrong with mcd. It is one of the best brands in the world, selling a never-ending stream of deliciousness to the teeming masses and money to us shareholders. Don't sweat the ups and downs. In 10 years you'll be sitting pretty.
Thanks guys! It has been exciting and stressful at the same time. It went down a bit from where I bought it, but then it went back up and is a little above my purchase price so I can relax a little again. I know I shouldn't obsess over every little up and down, but I can't help it. I'm still checking the price all the time!
Just put it away and stop looking at it. Worrying about share price has done many an investor in, especially me. Add some shares when you can and remember the best time to invest money is when you have some.
Go easy on me, there -- these are my first shares ever! I am calming down a bit (not checking every 10 minutes Confused!). I hope I'll have more cash soon for a few more shares (maybe more mcd, maybe something else).
Sorry I didn't mean to sound so gruff, but it's important not to obsess over share prices short term because as exciting as it can be to watch a stock soar, it'll drive you crazy and you'll make decisions you'll wish you didn't make. Obsess over finding the money to make more investments.
Bobbyboy -- Just a note of encouragement because I imagine you out there nervous about the MCD earnings report and today's resulting price decline. Don't sweat it! In fact, if you are still accumulating your nest egg, these are the days you should welcome with open arms as a chance to pick up a few more shares at a nice price. Hang in there!

Tom
If the price pulls back much from here, I'll be very tempted to pick up a few more shares myself.
Ok, ok, thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm keeping pretty calm over here, even as we drift lower. I am pulling together another few hundred dollars for my next purchase. I get the idea. If mcd keeps heading down, maybe I'll pick up a few more shares, or i'm also thinking about pm, given all the love its gotten here lately.