Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGI For The DIY
(04-13-2021, 02:50 PM)ChadR Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 09:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote: [quote pid='25240' dateline='1618323714']
[quote pid='25236' dateline='1618322710']

On a side note I tell my daughter I am leaving her a sizeable portfolio.  What year she can legally access it depend a lot on how she manages her personal finances.  I will make good on that threat.  I tell her the "Cat Foundation" is always looking for donations if she doesn't heed my warnings lol.  Now I need to find an actual Cat charity and will them $1K so I don't wreck a good 20 year joke.  She isn't all that fond of cats lol.
[/quote]

Stardust Kitten Club is a cat charity that you can give to so you don't have to wreck the good joke.
[/quote]
I should get her on their emal list add so she knows I ain't playing lol.
Man am I glad I switched off automatic dividend reinvestment and stopped trimming winners. I was very close several times to trimming Lowe's, but resisted the urge.

Hit yet another all-time high today and is now the largest position in my portfolio at $4,165.

My first directed reinvestment into HD at $268.50 on on March 11 has worked great as well. A 20% gain in a little over a month!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I generally reward winners with follow-up investments, and trim/eliminate losers or slower-gainers.

Oh gosh Home Depot, Lowe's, and the leveraged fund that triples them NAIL have been godsends!
I thought 300 was the 2021 top for HD and I have a pretty good idea how things are going.
(04-13-2021, 09:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote: [quote pid='25240' dateline='1618323714']

On a side note I tell my daughter I am leaving her a sizeable portfolio.  What year she can legally access it depend a lot on how she manages her personal finances.  I will make good on that threat.  I tell her the "Cat Foundation" is always looking for donations if she doesn't heed my warnings lol.  Now I need to find an actual Cat charity and will them $1K so I don't wreck a good 20 year joke.  She isn't all that fond of cats lol.
[/quote]

Stardust Kitten Club is a cat charity that you can give to so you don't have to wreck the good joke.
[/quote]
And two days later it occurs to me this might be a Vegas Strip Joint so I had to look it up.  Smile

Sorry for not trusting you Chad lol.

Daughter just sent my her 401K cash out check from her last job. Small fatherhood victories! I am going to start her first IRA tonight. Schwab I think because they do partial shares in S&P500 companies. Sorry for hijacking your thread Eric.
(04-14-2021, 06:21 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

[/quote]
And two days later it occurs to me this might be a Vegas Strip Joint so I had to look it up.  Smile

Daughter just sent my her 401K cash out check from her last job.  Small fatherhood victories!  I am going to start her first IRA tonight.  Schwab I think because they do partial shares in S&P500 companies.   Sorry for hijacking your thread Eric.
[/quote]

Don't worry about it.  And yes it does sound like a Vegas Strip Joint.  It is in Cancun and it is helped run by a friend of mine.  Check them out of FB, they usually post videos of the kittens.  Show your daughter the videos to help keep her on the straight and narrow.  And congrats on getting her to rollover her old 401k to an IRA and not blowing it on something stupid.  Great fatherhood victory.
(04-16-2021, 07:04 PM)ChadR Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 06:21 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Daughter just sent my her 401K cash out check from her last job.  Small fatherhood victories!  I am going to start her first IRA tonight.  Schwab I think because they do partial shares in S&P500 companies.   Sorry for hijacking your thread Eric.
[/quote]

Don't worry about it.  And yes it does sound like a Vegas Strip Joint.  It is in Cancun and it is helped run by a friend of mine.  Check them out of FB, they usually post videos of the kittens.  Show your daughter the videos to help keep her on the straight and narrow.  And congrats on getting her to rollover her old 401k to an IRA and not blowing it on something stupid.  Great fatherhood victory.
[/quote]
I think you mentioned this charity sometime back now that you mention it.  She did indeed think up a few things she needed to spend her 401K cash out on.  I told her the IRS would take half of it after penalties.  That's not quite accurate at her income level but it is a certainty she will change jobs several times in the next ten years. I want her get in the habit of starting a 401K each time.  She has one helluva a work ethic and works too many hours at several jobs.  She's done that for years so she can buy things she doesn't really need.  She is young and I could have a worse problem.  This is fine as long as she saves some.  I have lived frugal enough and have the ability to trim years off her working life if she cooperates at all.  I can also leave my younger sister in charge if she is incapable of managing money.  Those are conversations for the near future.
Hi Eric,

I was studying your portfolio, and I noticed that the overall yield is 2.72%, similar to your parent's proposed portfolio of 2.66%. Do you choose stocks that just happen to arrive at those yields when mixed together, or do you consciously work to pick stocks that come to around that figure?
The intent was a true DGI port with an annual 10% income growth goal for the port. His current yield is well above market average because he has mostly achieved the goal with minimal intervention. He does very little selling but has dumped a few dividend cutters. Not many though. 2020 might have been his most active year? He has added a few higher div stocks to maintain the progress. 10% is a challenging goal and makes the project entertaining to track. Hitting the goal without resorting to yield traps which misses the mark on future div growth goal. The port has decent cap appreciation as well.
I see; yeah that's pretty neat. 10% wow! So that means a company paying $0.80/share goes to $0.88/share and does that every year. So if their yield percentage were to stay the same, that means they would also be increasing their stock price by 10% as well.
(04-26-2021, 06:40 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I see; yeah that's pretty neat.  10% wow!  So that means a company paying $0.80/share goes to $0.88/share and does that every year.  So if their yield percentage were to stay the same, that means they would also be increasing their stock price by 10% as well.

Yes and he has achieved it without too much trading magic.  Can't tolerate companies that suspend though.  Too much ground to make up elsewhere.
I guess the closest column Eric tracks to telling readers like me how much the company in question is increasing its dividend is Yield on Cost. Nice to see how though his current yield is 2.72%, the yield on how much he paid is 4.46%. I should definitely track this too.