Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGI For The DIY
Thanks for the words of encouragement Fenders. I had my doubts at times whether I'd make it, but a strong December should push me over the top.

It can be discouraging at times when you see the tech sector go up 10% a week while some of the dividend stocks seem to tread water. But the market goes in cycles, so I suspect at some point that will shift back the other way again. Keep reminding myself that long-term S&P returns are only 6.1% over the last 20 years, so double-digit gains aren't anything to be ashamed of for long-term investing.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(12-21-2020, 03:47 PM)EricL Wrote: Thanks for the words of encouragement Fenders. I had my doubts at times whether I'd make it, but a strong December should push me over the top.

It can be discouraging at times when you see the tech sector go up 10% a week while some of the dividend stocks seem to tread water. But the market goes in cycles, so I suspect at some point that will shift back the other way again. Keep reminding myself that long-term S&P returns are only 6.1% over the last 20 years, so double-digit gains aren't anything to be ashamed of for long-term investing.
Trends will come and go as far as capital appreciation is concerned.  The longterm 10% income growth part will be the trick.  The only way I know of to ensure that over time is fast growth companies that pay a lowish div.  Whether that is a good idea or not will vary over time but mostly I think it's not a bad path to pursue.  You own good companies and  the total return will work out well enough in the end.  You have a good mix that includes high div stocks that can't possible hold up their end of the income growth deal.  But they already pay a yield on cost Div other stocks will take a decade or more to to approach.  My port is a mix like this.
Here's the December issue of Dividend Growth Digest.

https://dgiforthediy.com/2020/12/29/divi...mber-2020/

Income growth was just 4% in the month as a few trades during the year shifted some payments around.

Included some discussion on the recent dividend increases from McCormick, Hormel, Becton Dickinson, and Automatic Data Processing.

Enjoy!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Thanks as always. Your commentary on HRL caught my attention. It's starting to look a lot like a 20yr treasury going forward. I think they are going to need to make a move and acquire a new growthy brand or the stock is likely to stagnate for years. Their recent performance and near-term outlook doesn't justify any kind of a premium valuation anymore. The balance sheet gives them opportunity, but I don't look for them to overpay for anything just because the stock market is frothy for now. I sold my longshares up near the top and continue to sell puts for an attractive re-entry. I feel like I need to get a deal to get committed. It reminds me of KHC, except with good management. Smile Not really the same at all, but the growth outlook for very mature brands is.