Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGI For The DIY
(12-12-2018, 11:08 PM)Phidius Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 03:59 PM)EricL Wrote: Here is my latest quarterly update on Seeking Alpha:

DGI For The DIY: Q1 2018 Portfolio Update
Looks fantastic.   Thanks for sharing the details.   Civil Engineers are awesome investors.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks Phidius!

Been falling behind on updates, hoping to finish up the Q3 by this weekend!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Here's my Q3 update for the portfolio. Just in time for the end of Q4! =)

DGI For The DIY: Q3 2018 Portfolio Update

Enjoy!
You may need a stiff drink when you do the Q4 update lol. If your don't drink it might be a good time to start. Smile

Just kidding, the dividend increases are still looking good. I enjoyed the article as always. You write very well and I continue to watch your port and add to my watch list. I finally started a position in NEE today and definitely got the idea from you.
(12-19-2018, 10:33 AM)fenders53 Wrote: You may need a stiff drink when you do the Q4 update lol.  If your don't drink it might be a good time to start.  Smile

Just kidding, the dividend increases are still looking good. I enjoyed the article as always.  You write very well and I continue to watch your port and add to my watch list.  I finally started a position in NEE today and definitely got the idea from you.

My future income goes up every week, so I'm not too worried about the downturn. My portfolio value has dropped by about 10%, but that just means the yield is higher, up to 3.39% now. Just makes the dividend reinvestment all more powerful.

Now less than a $1 away from hitting $2,400 in annual income. $200 a month for doing nothing? I'll take it!

Best of luck with NEE, it's one of my favorites. If you hadn't noticed, Dominion just raised the dividend by ~10%, pushing its yield back up to nearly 5%!
That's exactly the attitude to have. Nobody likes to watch the capital evaporate on paper but it's part of the game. As long as you have new money to invest the downturns work out VERY WELL over time. I'm getting closer to retirement so my timing matters some on new purchases. You'll understand when you are a few years out. I sold a lot of puts this fall so I am gradually rolling into a lot of long positions with the downturn. It saved me from being down much worse. I'll be bugging you for that DIV tracker spreadsheet sometime soon. It looks pretty slick and I'll like to track my income growth as well. It would be nice to have something positive to track while we wait for Mr Market.
This page has a snapshot of my real-time portfolio, there is a tab on the spreadsheet for dividend $ received and dividend shares where I track everything. The reinvested dividends automatically update to the front page, which then updates my portfolio value and projected income.

My resources page has a link to a Google doc portfolio tracker sample at the bottom if you want to copy it and play around with it.

Also for income, I just update the "dividend rate" cell whenever a company announces a dividend increase, and my projected income total updates automatically.
Thanks Eric. I will grab them tonight. I am fairly proficient with Excel and I want to add a column or two for my put/calls sales as I consider them part of the purchase. My positions are 100 shares 90% of the time. That part is easy because I can just subtract the option premium from my entry basis. Once in the port I sell calls if a stock runs wild and becomes overvalued later. A few times per year a position gets called away. It's rare but it happens. Then immediately back in with a put sale. It's all income in the end and I want to track it. Still holding the same stocks and collecting the DGI dividend increases over time. Hope that made some sense. I know your positions are usually smaller and you aren't dealing with this accounting complication. The premiums often exceed a full years dividends so I want to track it.
My end of year portfolio update was published on Seeking Alpha last night. Portfolio value dropped a bit in 2018, but my dividend income rose by 14.6%, beating my 10% income growth goal.

DGI For The DIY: 2018 Portfolio Review

Enjoy!
Very solid dividend growth! Thanks for sharing your journey.
(01-29-2019, 11:20 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Very solid dividend growth! Thanks for sharing your journey.

You're welcome, thanks for reading!
Here's a stock by stock breakdown of how the portfolio's overall dividend income grew by 14.6% in 2018. I enjoy putting these together because it shows me which companies met my 10% income growth goal for the year, and which ones I may need to take a closer look at for replacement.

DGI for the DIY: 2018 Dividend Income Progress Report
Just did a big shuffling of positions, trading out of a few overvalued positions (NKE) & (CHD) and a few under-performers (GIS) & (KO), and I also trimmed (OHI) back a bit.

This freed up cash to buy three new companies I've had on my watch list for awhile (ADP), (CMCSA) & (UNH), and I also added to my existing positions in (D) and (MO).

Grand total, I lose $2 in forward income, but I think should more than make up for it in future income growth.