Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGI For The DIY
(11-14-2017, 08:01 AM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 09:06 AM)EricL Wrote: Was a little quicker getting this one out!

Here is my October portfolio update:

How I Grew My October Dividend Income By 19.9%

I also recently added a portfolio tracker spreadsheet at the bottom of my Dividend Resources page for people to copy if they'd like. It's similar to the one I use myself.

Enjoy!

Great read.  I hope the employment change works out okay.  I'm not familiar with Watsco, so I'll have to look into that one.

Thanks. The new job has been working out just fine. It is a bigger company so the benefits are a bit better, and both of my bosses who were owners of the previous company stayed on as well, so the work environment is pretty much the same as it has been.

I don't know that I've ever seen WSO in another DGI portfolio on Seeking Alpha, but it's been an excellent stock for me. It's put up 18% annualized returns over the last 15 years, and nearly 20% over the last 5.

People see the dividend cut in 2013 and think it was a bad thing, but WSO paid out a huge special dividend at the end of 2012 because of fears of tax changes on dividends. I think that was the same time as the government shut-down and sequester. Company has raised it quite aggressively since then and maintains a high payout ratio.
My Blog: DGIfortheDIY.com
Seeking Alpha Author Page 
(11-14-2017, 11:28 PM)EricL Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 08:01 AM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 09:06 AM)EricL Wrote: Was a little quicker getting this one out!

Here is my October portfolio update:

How I Grew My October Dividend Income By 19.9%

I also recently added a portfolio tracker spreadsheet at the bottom of my Dividend Resources page for people to copy if they'd like. It's similar to the one I use myself.

Enjoy!

Great read.  I hope the employment change works out okay.  I'm not familiar with Watsco, so I'll have to look into that one.

Thanks. The new job has been working out just fine. It is a bigger company so the benefits are a bit better, and both of my bosses who were owners of the previous company stayed on as well, so the work environment is pretty much the same as it has been.

I don't know that I've ever seen WSO in another DGI portfolio on Seeking Alpha, but it's been an excellent stock for me. It's put up 18% annualized returns over the last 15 years, and nearly 20% over the last 5.

People see the dividend cut in 2013 and think it was a bad thing, but WSO paid out a huge special dividend at the end of 2012 because of fears of tax changes on dividends. I think that was the same time as the government shut-down and sequester. Company has raised it quite aggressively since then and maintains a high payout ratio.

Thanks for the 30 second summary.  I notice that it's a Near-Challenger (CCC list).  I'm adding it to my watchlist.
Here is my dividend income update for November.

DGI For The DIY: November Dividend Income Update

Income was up 42.8% year over year. Not too shabby!
Wow. Over 40% increase year over year is very impressive. And congrats on being close to $2,000 in dividend income for the year.
(12-19-2017, 12:30 PM)ChadR Wrote: Wow. Over 40% increase year over year is very impressive. And congrats on being close to $2,000 in dividend income for the year.

Thanks Chad! Onward and upward!
Nice increase from last year!

I'm still 7 months away from being able to do comparisons to previous years (since I just started), but it's really motivating to read blog/forum updates from other dividend investors while I wait Tongue - so keep up the good work!
(12-19-2017, 11:22 AM)EricL Wrote: Here is my dividend income update for November.

Great job!  Regarding the KMI dividend increase that you mentioned in the article, how much faith do you have in them?  They said the dividend was safe before they cut it.
(12-23-2017, 09:51 PM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 11:22 AM)EricL Wrote: Here is my dividend income update for November.

Great job!  Regarding the KMI dividend increase that you mentioned in the article, how much faith do you have in them?  They said the dividend was safe before they cut it.

I'm willing to give KMI a chance to redeem itself. It got caught off-guard with crude crashing to the $20's, and chose to preserve its credit rating and spending on capex over the dividend, which was probably the best decision for the long-term health of the company. 

The dividend cut doesn't change the fact that KMI has some of the best mid-stream assets in the country.

WTI briefly touched $60 today, and I think is headed higher in the months ahead. I think the future is bright for KMI, CVX, XOM, and others.
Here is my write-up on Seeking Alpha about the trades I made last week in selling out of MDU, ABC, and GE and opening new positions in JNJ, AWK, MMM, NEE, and MA.

Shuffling My Dividend Growth Deck

Enjoy!
(01-07-2018, 12:39 AM)EricL Wrote: Here is my write-up on Seeking Alpha about the trades I made last week in selling out of MDU, ABC, and GE and opening new positions in JNJ, AWK, MMM, NEE, and MA.

Shuffling My Dividend Growth Deck

Enjoy!

Good read.  I'm concerned about buying things that are too overvalued, like MA.  I want to own Mastercard, but just can't pull the trigger at these levels.