Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IBM @ $185.00
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on IBM if it goes sub $185.00. I don't like the sub 2% yield. But hard to get away from this as a staple tech sector stock.

What entry prices are you looking at, and why?

Thanks,

Ronn
I'm not tempted to go long anything today, not in front of the looming shutdown in a few hours. Talking heads on Bloomberg are predicting a much more harsh market tomorrow, if congress goes ahead with its foolish gridlock on the debt ceiling. I just bought a few hundred shares of SRTY @$14.23, to take advantage of a downdraft if it comes. If the market sells steeply tomorrow, then I may shop for some bargain among tickers of interest. If the market shrugs and yawns, then I'll sell my SRTY and will go back into the watch and wait mode. I'm getting low on opportunity cash, and am not overly eager to add anything at current prices especially in this very confusing climate.
Alex
I've seen a lot of articles praising IBM as a company and as a stock, including as a quality DG stock (see, for example, Tim McAleenan's master list of stocks). I've never done a thorough look at it myself because the starting yield doesn't excite me much, and I've already got as much tech exposure as I want right now. Arguably, IBM might be a safer tech holding than some that I've got, so perhaps it would be worthwhile to consider switching out some of what I've got for some IBM.

Best of luck on the purchase!
As it dropped below 180, I couldn't see a reason not to invest--so I picked up 55 shares. Now all I'd like is some Cisco Systems and I think the tech sector of my portfolio can switch from acquisition to monitor.

My Tech Sector:
INTC
MSFT
AAPL
IBM
(10-08-2013, 10:17 AM)ronn38 Wrote: As it dropped below 180, I couldn't see a reason not to invest--so I picked up 55 shares. Now all I'd like is some Cisco Systems and I think the tech sector of my portfolio can switch from acquisition to monitor.

My Tech Sector:
INTC
MSFT
AAPL
IBM

I also own MSFT, AAPL and IBM. Went with QCOM instead of INTC for chip maker. I agree that CSCO looks attractive as well at its current price.
I think I am on record as being a little uneasy with a lot of tech in my portfolio, but I do like the lineup you guys have laid out (MSFT, AAPL, IBM, and INTC/CSCO/QCOM).

Just curious, what percentage of your portfolios do those names together make up? Off the top of my head, I could see being comfortable with all four of those together making up about ten percent of my holdings. But again, I am much more into businesses that I can predict reliably what they will look like ten years out.
(10-08-2013, 02:24 PM)TomK Wrote: I think I am on record as being a little uneasy with a lot of tech in my portfolio, but I do like the lineup you guys have laid out (MSFT, AAPL, IBM, and INTC/CSCO/QCOM).

Just curious, what percentage of your portfolios do those names together make up? Off the top of my head, I could see being comfortable with all four of those together making up about ten percent of my holdings. But again, I am much more into businesses that I can predict reliably what they will look like ten years out.

I hold 50 positions in my 401k that are fairly equally weighted, so those 4 are about 8% of my account.
As I'm still accumulating, I tend not to concern myself with balance at this point. The last years has presented me with opportunities in REITs, energy and tech- so I'm overweighted in those three areas. I try to buy like a vaule investor- so I wait for attractive dips... which sometimes has me waiting too long, and missing the boatUndecided

However, the advantage I have- thanks to listening to my sainted father- is that virtually all my my investable assests are earning 6.5% in an annuities or 4% in E bonds. So I'm OK with missing a few boats;-)

I do think 10% would be a good allocation to this sector.

Ronn