• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Perfect Portfolio Competition
Previous winners

2019 - Fenders53
2020 - Divemenow
2021 - kblake
2022 - ChadR
2023 - rayray

We didn't get this off the ground on time to start from day one, but I think it would still be fun to get a list put together for 2024. Let's give it all next week for people to get their picks in, then we will start calculating results beginning from the January 12 close and running until the close on December 31, 2024.  

Enter your picks anytime.  You may edit them as often as you like until the contest starts.

Here are the rules for 2024:

1.  Pick five dividend stocks or dividend ETFs listed in the US.  No levered ETFs, meme stocks, crypto, options, or penny stocks are allowed.  We are trying to use our individual stock-picking abilities and eliminate any use of leverage.   

2.  If you wish, you may waive the dividend rule for one stock to allow adding a growth pick.      

3.  We won't split hairs but please abide by the spirit of the rules. Make an honest attempt at diversification like you would if this was your real portfolio.

4.  It is OK to use stocks that somebody has already put in their portfolio.

5. Results will be calculated based on price return only, meaning there is no advantage in picking a high yield over a low one. This makes tracking much easier on the spreadsheet.

Here is the SPREADSHEET for the real-time results.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
NVDA, LIN, CAH, VB, GILD
My picks:

1) AVGO (semiconductor)
2) LLY (biotech)
3) PHM (homebuilder)
4) NEE (utility)
5) UPST (tech speculative stock without dividend)
1. BIPC
2. MAA
3. My god, I'm running out of ideas already... LMT
4. Airbus (AIR in the Paris exchange, I think EADSY is the ADR trading on US exchanges)
5. SPIR

The last is my growth pick, and a super risky one too! But I think the only reasonable thing is to aim for the #1 spot, and it takes risk to get there! But I do hold a tiny amount of SPIR in my real portfolio too, so I truly think that they COULD be a great company if they don't go bankrupt in the next 6 months. Big Grin
I'll have my picks no later than this evening--I was prepping for this a few days ago and I don't know what I did with my list--I have a habit of writing my stock info on junk mail lol.

NVDA
MSFT
IBKR
TPL
ACLS (non-dividend pick)
C
CBRL
XOM
DFS
D
(01-07-2024, 03:47 PM)ChadR Wrote: C
CBRL
XOM
DFS
D

Wow you've got a couple of downtrodden picks there.  Cracker Barrel is down 55% the past 5 years, Dominion 30%.  Do you see a strong rebound for each?
1. HON
2. SMH
3. MA
4. HSY
5. NEE
(01-08-2024, 09:56 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 03:47 PM)ChadR Wrote: C
CBRL
XOM
DFS
D

Wow you've got a couple of downtrodden picks there.  Cracker Barrel is down 55% the past 5 years, Dominion 30%.  Do you see a strong rebound for each?

For this contest, I just need one of them to fully rebound and the other one to bounce back some.  Though with my poor performance last year, I'm sure both will keep falling this year.
I'll go with AMP, HUM, LOW, SBUX, and TMUS.
I will go with

AVGO
RTX
TROW
VOO
UNH
I've updated the spreadsheet with this year's picks and added a link to the top post for future reference.

Others are still welcome to join if interested.

Good luck!