Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's worried about the debt limit?
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congres...-rcna65725

I've read elsewhere that if we have an event like in 2011, stocks will lose about a third of their current value.
If only. I've been waiting to get back to the "summer blues" for what seems like forever. All of 2022 I spent searching for companies that met my GFC and 201x's screens and found few and far between. Most I found that were close I already owned.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Nothing to worry about, just political crap.
The debt ceiling has been raised countless times before, and it'll certainly be raised again. I don't think anyone has even tried to balance the budget in decades, so the only option is to either default or raise the ceiling. I think we all know which option will be ultimately chosen.
Washington has to reign in their spending, it cannot be ignored.

What will be done? idk because both parties are guilty

My solution? I do the Ostrich method, put my head in the sand and hope for the best.

did i mention i really like amzn, tsla, goog/googl and aapl??
(01-15-2023, 09:29 AM)rayray Wrote: Washington has to reign in their spending, it cannot be ignored.

My solution? I do the Ostrich method, put my head in the sand and hope for the best.

No question on the first part; ideally tax cuts or new spending bills are accounted for in the budget when they are passed.  It's just irresponsible to either fund something new without knowing how to pay for it, or cutting taxes without cutting spending.   I'm very worried the markets are going to get absolutely thrashed until this is resolved, so I'm leaving whatever limited funds I will acquire to invest between now & then in cash.  I'm tempted to put my 401k into the Stable Value fund for a couple months too, thinking it over.

Big tech has been a sure thing for years, I get it.  Of the 4 you listed, i think Google is the safest from competition.
(01-16-2023, 07:43 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(01-15-2023, 09:29 AM)rayray Wrote: Washington has to reign in their spending, it cannot be ignored.

No question on the first part; ideally tax cuts or new spending bills are accounted for in the budget when they are passed.  It's just irresponsible to either fund something new without knowing how to pay for it, or cutting taxes without cutting spending.   I'm very worried the markets are going to get absolutely thrashed until this is resolved, so I'm leaving whatever limited funds I will acquire to invest between now & then in cash.  I'm tempted to put my 401k into the Stable Value fund for a couple months too, thinking it over.

Big tech has been a sure thing for years, I get it.  Of the 4 you listed, i think Google is the safest from competition.

i try not to guess what happens politically, and or how they'll budget, even on the federal level

i invest weekly, through the good times and the bad
(01-16-2023, 02:04 PM)rayray Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 07:43 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

i try not to guess what happens politically, and or how they'll budget, even on the federal level

i invest weekly, through the good times and the bad

Yeah, every now and again I'm tempted to make some moves to avoid storms like this (potential) one. It seems so rational, but usually I regret it. There is no predicting what it going to happen politically (though I agree it looks / feels bad at the moment!), but even if you get that part right, predicting how the market will react to whatever happens is even more attenuated.

Best approach I've come up with is to try to keep plenty of dry powder and and keep my spreadsheets updated so that I'm ready to take advantage of the opportunities these debacles present. Otherwise, I tent to just hold on and try not to barf when the market gets crushed.

Maybe impending doom is the new normal!
I've been reading up on the situation, and I honestly don't see a way out for anybody. McCarthy will lose his position as Speaker if he doesn't extract significant spending cuts, and the Democrats will lose support of their base if they compromise. I'm very worried, not only for the economy but also for the ability to keep providing help to Ukraine. Even if a deal is made at the 11th hour, it looks like markets will fall at least 20% because of this.
It seems to depend on whether there really are any grownups in the room. There don't appear to be, but the consequences of default seem dire enough that maybe enough moderates will find a way to cut a deal. But who the heck knows if they can at all, or if they can in time to forestall problems -- there is no shortage of crazy going around these days.

But that just gets me back to dry powder and sharp pencils...
it's a tough dance to maneuver, in todays world what is normally good has been bad for the market and what was usually bad is now good for the market

so, whatever the political parties do i cannot guess what will happen, however they will not default because on a global scale it will be bad, very bad

i'm conservative, maybe even libertarian-leaning to a certain extent

overall i tend to believe most people whether they vote or not are center-left or center-right not politically left or right--however--when looking at our politicians it seems it's left vs right and that's all that exists imho

so, when i step back and look at the

left-wing

and the

right-wing

i'm smart enough to know i'm looking at the same bird, politically speaking of course