Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad day in America
(06-01-2022, 09:10 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Lots of mass shootings since the "biggie": https://www.newsweek.com/there-have-alre...de-1711654.  17!

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/repor...ing?page=9.  233 mass shootings so far this year.  So it's at least 2 a day in this country.  Many go unreported nationally.

I think we are all numb to the "average" shooting at this point.
Yeah we are getting numb to it.  I especially got numb to inner city violence.  We just had a shooting in a church parking lot here in Iowa.  Thankfully he didn't go inside which was full of peopleat the time.  He killed two and then himself so it won't meet the criteria for mass shooting.  We may need armed individuals at all public venues.  I'd strongly prefer America not be like that but it seems we are here.
I've come to the conclusion that mass shootings are encouraged in America. Why else would lawmakers be so insistent that 18 year olds be able to buy AR-15s without any restrictions? You can't even buy a cigarette at that age, and AR-15s have no other purpose than mass murder. (From my limited internet reading, apparently AR-9s are best for home defense, and I'm sure hunters choose more sportsman-like rifles.) The 2nd Amendment wording is a mess, but clearly AR-15s weren't a twinkle in the eyes of the founding fathers.

(That said, Trump did ban the bump stocks that turn AR-15s into true machine guns, so there is a limit to the amount of bloodshed lawmakers are looking for.)
I don't want to get deep into politics but it's complicated. The give an inch take a mile problem is real. Nobody believes for a minute it will stop with a few rule changes. That said there are rules. I can't own a machine gun. Perhaps you can in a few states with heavy licensing requirements. I can't possess grenades or bomb materials. It's political suicide in some states to vote for any gun law. Just reality. Personally I prefer it be more difficult to acquire an AR. The Ohio doctors office shooter purchased his two hours before he murdered. Not the first time that happened. Yes he could have used some other weapon but perhaps it would have been less effective. I don't own anything that you wouldn't consider sporting, but most of my guns could be used to murder a half dozen people in 20 seconds. I agree bump stocks defeated the purpose of automatic rifle laws. 30 round magazines are a political target. That probably sounds good to you. We used 20 RD mags in the military. They can be changed out in 3 seconds if you are slow. Just a feel good law. Anyway, some random thoughts I know are facts.