Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad day in America
Not stock related. 

But I just wanted to say what happened in Texas today was despicable and a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims families. Innocent children. When does it end. This country needs to be fixed and it starts at the top. Enough of this violence. Aa a parent of 2 young kids I worry everyday.  No one is safe as long as they keep letting these things happen. You never see this kind of mass shootings in other countries. Why here? Just a sad world we live in these days. And a sad day in America. I hope these families can heal. ?
Sad day indeed. Just horrific Those poor families. Hug your kids daily!

Prayers to all the victims families
I had read somewhere last year that due to the COVID lockdown, mass shootings were suppressed, and we should expect a ramp up of them in the coming year.

This is an area that America is just never going to fix. Sad
I'm lost for words. Just a horrific event and one that could have been avoided as soon as they pulled him over. Lost of questions need to be answered as to why he was able to flee the scene and enter the school. Makes no sense!

Prayers to all the victims families and community
Truly tragic.

But just a cost of business for the half of our legislators who are directly interested in a terrified and uneducated populace. It is absolutely sickening watching the right pretend that they give a shit about it all, when they obviously do not (or worse, benefit from these horrors). And the left just lets them get away with it with its constant dithering and distraction and nonsense non-issues. We're well and truly fucked.
The guns don't scare me, crazy people out there do. What kind of gun did Ted Kaczinski use, I forget.
(05-27-2022, 06:40 AM)NilesMike Wrote: The guns don't scare me, crazy people out there do. What kind of gun did Ted Kaczinski use, I forget.

I'm only familiar with his bombs.
I certainly don't know the answer but these tragedies are gut wrenching. I carried the full auto version of the AR-15 for decades in the military. I never thought the 50yr old design that amazing. If I had a criminal mind I know I could kill about as effectively with a common deer rifle, but that is not what these evil kids are using. For years I brushed it off but a couple trends seem clear. We are the only civilized nation with this problem anywhere near this level. We aren't going to address mental health issues among our young but we talk a good game. Almost all of these AR15s used for mass murder were purchased just days or a few weeks before. I am good with making it a slower process to buy one. I doubt anyone on this forum owns more guns than I do. Thoughts and prayers don't seem to be working. I am OK with actually trying to address this.
(05-24-2022, 08:56 PM)divmenow Wrote: ...You never see this kind of mass shootings in other countries. Why here?...

Myth 5: The United States is the only country where mass shootings happen
Just as it is untrue that mass shooters only use assault rifles and high-capacity magazines, it is also patently false to claim that the US is the only nation where mass shootings occur.  The five deadliest mass shootings in world history all took place outside of the US.  So did eight of the ten deadliest.  So did 33 of the 50 deadliest mass shootings in world history.
What is often forgotten in the debate over mass shootings is that the United States has the third-highest population in the world.  In 2016, the Crime Research Prevention Center found that when adjusted for population, the US actually ranked 12th in mass shootings per capita from 2009 to 2015.
Two years later, it analyzed data on mass shootings across the globe from 1966 to 2012 and found that while the US made up roughly 4.6% of the world’s population, it accounted for less than 1.43% of mass shooters and 2.11% of the people killed in mass shooting incidents.
Just as the United States is hardly alone in dealing with mass murders, it is also far from the worst country in the world when it comes to gun violence generally.  The US actually ranks 83rd in the world in murders per capita (out of 193 UN-recognized countries), while its 5.35 murders per 100,000 residents is well below the world average of 7.03.

https://www.maciverinstitute.com/2022/05/debunking-every-major-mass-shooting-myth/

IMHO, it all starts at the home and how that child has been raised. Maybe we have a gun problem, maybe we don't. There are valid arguments from both sides, but if we take emotions and strong personal beliefs of pro-gun vs anti-gun out of the equation the common denominator in the equation is how that child has been raised from pre-birth throughout their teenage years.

In black and white terms, we have a social problem, a big social problem and there's been one for decades, Trump brought it to the surface and our nation of crazy antics has been exposed.

We've become a nation of lunatics on a mass scale.

It's a sad day when someone kills a child, maybe not on a mass shooting murdering spree, but it happens every day.
There is one more common dominator. No matter what one believes the problem is, we will do nothing significant about it. Politicians will see to that. Their minions will line up behind them and settle for nothing.
(05-30-2022, 07:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote: There is one more common dominator.  No matter what one believes the problem is, we will do nothing significant about it.  Politicians will see to that.  Their minions will line up behind them and settle for nothing.

I still believe it starts at the home and how one is raised. Sure, you'll always have that "kid" that is just bad, and hopefully will grow out of it, but for the most part a lot of our social ills can be prevented at home with proper values taught.

A good portion of my family grew up in extreme poverty, but no one turned out to be murderers, they grew up as hard working people because how they were raised.
(05-30-2022, 09:58 AM)rayray Wrote:
(05-30-2022, 07:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote: There is one more common dominator.  No matter what one believes the problem is, we will do nothing significant about it.  Politicians will see to that.  Their minions will line up behind them and settle for nothing.

I still believe it starts at the home and how one is raised. Sure, you'll always have that "kid" that is just bad, and hopefully will grow out of it, but for the most part a lot of our social ills can be prevented at home with proper values taught.

A good portion of my family grew up in extreme poverty, but no one turned out to be murderers, they grew up as hard working people because how they were raised.
Sounds good.  So to there is nothing we can do regarding the weapon of choice for the best kill events? Got a solution we might actually start with or are you content to validate my last post?  Most won't care in a week. We agree people are crazy. I'm not OK with that. I know it's not your concern if your kids are grown. It is the nations problem. We are supposed to be better than the examples of other countries with high murder rates. They aren't the standard I hope for.