Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing Between Dollar-Cost and Value Averaging
A good read  - https://www.investopedia.com/articles/st...cavsva.asp

With Berkshire I dollar cost average every Month, With my other individual investments I definitely fall into the category of a value averaging investor.

I'm not a puritan for either strategy - I employ both methods. 

- Scoot

"As times goes on, I get more and more convinced that the right method of investment is to put large sums into
enterprises which one thinks one knows something about and in the management of which one thoroughly
believes.  It is a mistake to think one limit’s one’s risk by spreading too much between enterprises about which
one knows little and has no reason for special confidence.”- John Maynard Keynes
I dollar cost averaged into my 401K as one normally would. The only twist is I put a very small allocation into short-term treasuries. I was still 90% in equities. There were times it was obvious the market was offering up discount shares. It made me feel better to add more then. Any real difference in long-term performance? Who knows? With DCA you are assured of getting a close enough to average price over time. I don't think a young investor should stress himself a minute with anything but DCA. It's highly likely to turn into a game of market timing. The best time to invest for 35yrs from now is today IMO.

As I approached retirement it became value averaging almost exclusively for me. I didn't know if 2021 was a market top, but I sure knew it wasn't a bottom.