Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The one's that got away - Sort of.
GNRC -
I purchased GNRC back in 2017 time frame when it was about 45.00 and change. I sold some when it hit 80.00 and change in 2019, and the remainder on 3/29/21 when GNRC hit 315.00 and change. I just thought the market was nuts and GNRC was way overvalued as a company.After the sale, I watched GNRC continue to soar reaching an all time high of over 500.00 a share in October 2021. I put GNRC in the Rear view and moved on.

Due to storm battering the coast this weekend I got curious and just glanced at the recent share price. .....
My how Icarus has fallen. YTD 266.00 and change. (I still think it's overvalued)

Had a very similar experience a few years back with SMG as well. Invested around 70.00 sold around 120.00. I also thought the valuation the market had placed on SMG as a company was nuts. Then I and watched it climb over 240.00. Today SMG is back down around 140.00 price point. (I'm not sure if it's overvalued at that price point or not).

Either way, I have no intentions of reinvesting in either, but will occasionally glance at each over the next few years out of curiosity.

- Scoot
I have traded GNRC a lot. I resisted the extreme momentum but may get pulled into some new shares on a put sell soon. I am very OK with that outcome. They have a strong future.
Sold an absolute pile of growth in fall 2018 because I was switching to DGI. Lot of companies where prices have really popped like AMD, NVDA, AMAT, etc.

But the cream of the crop is TWLO. I did a lot of short-term trading my first few months in the market in early to mid-2017. Was pretty successful with it. Three that were reliable for multiple trades were MU, GPRO and TWLO. MU was RSI-based and I traded around a long position. It was one I sold in late 2018. I called GPRO my 7-11 stock - buy over 11, sell when it dropped into the 7's. Rinse, wash, repeat - quit doing it when I quit doing that sort of trading.

Then there was TWLO. When I first got into the market in early 2017 it had a very nice price pattern working. Basically I'd buy in the low/mid 20's - thinking 23/24 range and sell in the low 30's. Did this maybe 3 times with nice returns about ever 6 weeks. Made my last sale at, I figure, around $31 and it never came back down. Even with the pullback, where is it today?

TWLO is also responsible for changing me from doing all-in/all-out to trading around a core position for a company I liked which I did with MU. I actually never did a whole lot of that but MU was so reliable - sell when the RSI topped 60, buy when it was under 40.
(01-30-2022, 07:53 AM)cemanuel Wrote: Sold an absolute pile of growth in fall 2018 because I was switching to DGI. Lot of companies where prices have really popped like AMD, NVDA, AMAT, etc.

But the cream of the crop is TWLO. I did a lot of short-term trading my first few months in the market in early to mid-2017. Was pretty successful with it. Three that were reliable for multiple trades were MU, GPRO and TWLO. MU was RSI-based and I traded around a long position. It was one I sold in late 2018. I called GPRO my 7-11 stock - buy over 11, sell when it dropped into the 7's. Rinse, wash, repeat - quit doing it when I quit doing that sort of trading.

Then there was TWLO. When I first got into the market in early 2017 it had a very nice price pattern working. Basically I'd buy in the low/mid 20's - thinking 23/24 range and sell in the low 30's. Did this maybe 3 times with nice returns about ever 6 weeks. Made my last sale at, I figure, around $31 and it never came back down. Even with the pullback, where is it today?

TWLO is also responsible for changing me from doing all-in/all-out to trading around a core position for a company I liked which I did with MU. I actually never did a whole lot of that but MU was so reliable - sell when the RSI topped 60, buy when it was under 40.
I use that strategy a lot for growth stocks.  It's a lot less painful to not be sitting there holding nothing while it launches.  MSFT got me on this one, and there were a few others.  I also like to trim and add some of my long held boring stocks, even stocks like JNJ and UTEs.  They are highly unlikely to launch and a lot of years you may only get a 5% return,  but if a third of the position makes a few trips from the bottom of the range per year, you have a much better overall return.  

GNRC was a different animal.  Not a brand new company and it was crazy overvalued at 450.  My shares had more than doubled in under a year and IMO my entry wasn't dirt cheap.  I sold tranches from 420-440.  I think it touched 500 a month later.  I am getting back in around 280 via option sell.  It's still overvalued, but if I get a chance to add lower I will trim on the next pop.