Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portfolio Characteristics
(01-30-2022, 10:00 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I know I am the only one commenting on this thread and I hope that's OK.  I like your strategy because you have rules, but they are not inflexible.  Your point on investment board chatter is accurate.  A ticker is popular when the sun is shining, then not so much when the price dips.  EOG will be one of those examples.  It will be a strong buy until it isn't.  A historical chart demonstrates you will get burned on the sector if you buy the top and  hold.  EOG is doing about the same thing they have for a decade.  The cherry picked 7yr return is nothing.  Extremely negative just a few months ago.  There was one helluva lot of opportunity cost holding it while SA oil bulls pounded the oil table for years.  I stopped reading their sector biased foolishness long ago.  It's my best stock this quarter but I won't ride it back down when that time comes.

Follow the weekly rig count.  It is positive, until it is not.  It was up 59% year over year last week (up 6 for the week, to 610).  I do not read many articles on SA, and have not for awhile.  They need higher quality writers and editors.
(01-30-2022, 10:14 AM)rnsmth Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 10:00 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I know I am the only one commenting on this thread and I hope that's OK.  I like your strategy because you have rules, but they are not inflexible.  Your point on investment board chatter is accurate.  A ticker is popular when the sun is shining, then not so much when the price dips.  EOG will be one of those examples.  It will be a strong buy until it isn't.  A historical chart demonstrates you will get burned on the sector if you buy the top and  hold.  EOG is doing about the same thing they have for a decade.  The cherry picked 7yr return is nothing.  Extremely negative just a few months ago.  There was one helluva lot of opportunity cost holding it while SA oil bulls pounded the oil table for years.  I stopped reading their sector biased foolishness long ago.  It's my best stock this quarter but I won't ride it back down when that time comes.

Follow the weekly rig count.  It is positive, until it is not.  It was up 59% year over year last week (up 6 for the week, to 610).  I do not read many articles on SA, and have not for awhile.  They need higher quality writers and editors.
There are actually a lot of informed oil patch posters on SA, but they are out of their minds biased with wishful thinking and I suspect it's because they were hopelessly overweight in the sector when it took yet another mult-year beat down.  I think oil is a gold mine for now.  They can't increase supply fast enough, until they can. A small imbalance and the spot price flies in either direction.  I am tempted to get a little deeper in oil but I will be ready to jump ship.  I think we have another 2014/15 in progress.
(01-30-2022, 10:22 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 10:14 AM)rnsmth Wrote:

There are actually a lot of informed oil patch posters on SA, but they are out of their minds biased with wishful thinking and I suspect it's because they were hopelessly overweight in the sector when it took yet another mult-year beat down.  I think oil is a gold mine for now.  They can't increase supply fast enough, until they can. A small imbalance and the spot price flies in either direction.  I am tempted to get a little deeper in oil but I will be ready to jump ship.  I think we have another 2014/15 in progress.

Our Portfolios are 19% energy.  I think that is high enough.
2022 is getting off to a good start in terms of dividend growth.

January year over year

No new outside money coming in.

Not counting our special divvy from NIE - up 38%

Counting our NIE special - up 93%

I'll take it.