Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News that caught my eye - Barley
Canada Makes Rare Import of European Barley After Drought.
Canada, one of the world’s top barley exporters, is "importing" barley from Europe after drought decimated its harvest last year.

Wow.

- Scoot
A friend of mine - his son actually - runs a business where he malts barley and rye for craft breweries. He contracts with folks from 4 states; Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois and Ohio. This is to reduce the chance of a weather issue hitting his entire crop in the same year. The father farms 1500 acres and supports the business so he has plenty of ground to just grow it himself if he wanted to.

Smart guy - lived in Canada for several months to apprentice under someone and learn malting before starting his business.
I was somehow not even aware Canada had a drought.
(01-19-2022, 07:22 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I was somehow not even aware Canada had a drought.
A major drought in Stanley Cup winners fer sure!
(01-19-2022, 07:22 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I was somehow not even aware Canada had a drought.

Small grains are sensitive - if you had a 4-week drought right during grain fill yields can really be hurt, along with grain quality.
(01-19-2022, 04:10 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
A major drought in Stanley Cup winners fer sure!

Ouch!! As a Canadians fan, that hurt Smile

***** Canada Makes Rare Import of European Barley After Drought. ******

ADM is set to release their fourth Quarter Financial Results on Jan. 25, 2022.
I usually wait till after earnings, However, Given ADM's core business and the rising economic inflation environment
- I increased my share count in Archer-Daniels Today.

The company is expected to report EPS of $1.25, up 3.31% from the prior-year quarter.
ADM has provided solid beats throughout all of 2021 to date. It sports a strong balance sheet
with positive free cash flow and operating cash flow. Dividend Payout Ratio is 51% so plenty
of Margin for Safety. ADM has provided uninterrupted dividends Since 1931.

ADM ownership -
I like companies with large Institutional Ownership - 42.7%
Institutional Mutual Fund Ownership - 35.3%
Mutual Fund Ownership - 4.7%
Insider Ownership - 0.4%
Other - 16.9%

- Scoot
ADM is the stinkiest company on earth, literally lol. I live in corn country so there are a number of grain processing plants not too far away. The closest one is basically on the main drag in Stinky Clinton. There is about a three mile buffer zone on each side and that is where the shopping centers and restaurants are. If you want to eat you need to check the wind direction and go to the proper end of town. I'm not making this up. It's even more horrid when the air is humid and still. Biggest employer in town by far and apparently you get used to it.

I just thought you needed to know this Scoot. Smile
Our ADM is right next to Frito-Lay. Always hard to tell if the smell comes from rendering down potatoes and corn or from crushing soybeans. Fortunately the predominant wind blows toward the landfill located about 3 miles north of town.

Suspect the folks involved in community planning back in the 60's were lacking in olfactory sensitivity. At least the old rendering plant is closed.
(01-19-2022, 09:04 PM)fenders53 Wrote: ADM is the stinkiest company on earth, literally lol.  I live in corn country so there are a number of grain processing plants not too far away.  The closest one is basically on the main drag in Stinky Clinton.  There is about a three mile buffer zone on each side and that is where the shopping centers and restaurants are.  If you want to eat you need to check the wind direction and go to the proper end of town.  I'm not making this up.  It's even more horrid when the air is humid and still. Biggest employer in town by far and apparently you get used to it.

I just thought you needed to know this Scoot.  Smile

Work took me to some stinky places in my life  -

In the US -
Texas Midland - Odessa (the smell of sulfur from the flaring of gas in the 80's. the rotten egg smell was enough to make you puke).
the whole area enveloped in a yellow haze of stink 24/7. The pulp mills in Maine were disgusting, just nasty foul sour rotten egg.

Drive up 95 in New Jersey, area reeks with refinery stench and garbage (keep the windows up and just keep rolling).

India
Bangalore was awful. One of my peers living there, said you think Bangalore smells bad there are other areas of India far worse.
It was so bad when I arrived back in states I Informed the consulting firm I contracted through I would never accept another contract
for India again if travel too and from was required.

Pyeongtaek, Korea in spring/summer months. The smell of foul waste from the sewers is overwhelming. It is everywhere in Korea but
Pyeongtaek was just so extra special.
You win this one but flaring gas in the middle east is non-stop. Yea just hazy all the time. I've never been around it in US.

Your Korea comment made me laugh. I arrived at my hotel in Seoul to pick up a baby we were adopting. A decent hotel. I spent the first 15 minutes pouring water in drains thinking a trap must have went dry. Probabny don't use traps. Smelled horrid. Went to dining room for breakfast next morning. Similar smell. I was told it was sewers and kimchee. Wasn't there long enough to get used to it and really enjoy a meal.

US chain restaurants overseas were quite the surprise. Why does my Hardees chicken smell like old fish lol. No thanks street vendor, I've decided to quit eating dog jerky on a stick. I am not a picky eater but I lose weight when I travel abroad. I have trust issues lol.
(01-20-2022, 07:44 AM)fenders53 Wrote: You win this one but flaring gas in the middle east is non-stop.  Yea just hazy all the time.  I've never been around it in US.

Your Korea comment made me laugh.  I arrived at my hotel in Seoul to pick up a baby we were adopting.  A decent hotel.  I spent the first 15 minutes pouring water in drains thinking a trap must have went dry.  Probabny don't use traps.  Smelled horrid.  Went to dining room for breakfast next morning.  Similar smell.  I was told it was sewers and kimchee.  Wasn't there long enough to get used to it and really enjoy a meal.

US chain restaurants overseas were quite the surprise.  Why does my Hardees chicken smell like old fish lol.  No thanks street vendor, I've decided to quit eating dog jerky on a stick.  I am not a picky eater but I lose weight when I travel abroad.  I have trust issues lol.

My closest Friend SSGT just returned from his up-teenth (As a country sometimes we ask so much) deployment with 10th mountain Div. 444 days pouring sand out of his boots in Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, then Kuwait. He said the smell of Tires burning in Kuwait was horrid. Thick, black. Air quality was so poor. He headed to VA this past week to get his lungs checked out as he was having difficulty breathing. He retires this year 30+ years of service.

Side bar -
I love kimchee (summer more than winter Kimchee but both are great), A SGT buddy of mine married an awesome Korean woman. They have been married over 40 years now. She is a wonderful cook and a beautiful person. Bulgogi and Rice, Kimchee, and she does something unique with Turnip and Rutabaga... So...So...good.

Majority of my friends are Service connected (we can discuss shit others can't relate too, nor do I care to explain it to them)

Worse thing I've eaten overseas was a Sea Cucumber. The served it raw.
I spent my time on the Kuwait-Iraq border. Visited Qatar.
They open pit burn everything all over the region, or just dump their trash in the ocean. Your friend will get a disability check eventually.

Bulgogi and rice is good. Ordered that because I knew what I was getting. I'll try kimchee someday if I can get it past my nose. The sewer odor on the side just wrecked the ambiance.