4 Consumer Defensive +0.03%
5 Industrials -0.5%
6 Utilities -2.2%
7 Consumer Cyclical -2.3%
8 Real Estate -3.9%
9 Comm Services -4%
10 Healthcare -5.2%
11 Technology -5.7%
Does anyone remember the research done on the first week of January as a predictor for the year - not by sector but by the broad market indices?
(01-08-2022, 01:12 PM)rnsmth Wrote: Does anyone remember the research done on the first week of January as a predictor for the year - not by sector but by the broad market indices?
First five days have a correlation to the entire year.  We're doomed.  Smile  I think I saw an article on CNBC website but the first week, and the month of January in general seem to set the tone, statistically anyway.
Well I can't speak to the whole year, but last year, what we saw was that the market would turn "angry" especially against tech, for 2 weeks at a time. Then it would recover for about 4, then down again for 2, rinse & repeat until the October boost. Therefore, I expect the coming week to be rough as well, and then the second half of January to be decent. I expect for my portfolio January will overall be a down month.

That said, I believe sometime in February we will get news that Omicron is blowing itself out, and the markets will boom for a bit. The news we really need to hear is that the supply chain crisis is easing up. Once that goes away, inflation should level out, and then we'll be all good.
Until buying dips is no longer rewarded this is likely. Still no alternative that might beat inflation.
(01-08-2022, 01:18 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 01:12 PM)rnsmth Wrote: Does anyone remember the research done on the first week of January as a predictor for the year - not by sector but by the broad market indices?
First five days have a correlation to the entire year.  We're doomed.  Smile  I think I saw an article on CNBC website but the first week, and the month of January in general seem to set the tone, statistically anyway.

Kathy and I are at an all time high in portfolio value and also in dividend/distribution income.

If this is doomed, I like it.
Oh no, the doom is just getting started. Smile

Kidding, I just put it down with the rest of the seasonal statistics. Thanksgiving to JAN seem good more often than not. January effect for small caps. Fall corrections seem common. Nothing I would try to invest around but some of the above did seem to be valid before the machines started flipping shares every five minutes.