Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ETF fund flow - Week ending 01/07/2022
For those with interest,

S&P 500 related ETFs that made up the bulk of the inflows.
SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (SPY)
iShares Core S&P 500 ETF (IVV)
iShares Financial Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLF)
iShares Health Care Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLV)
iShares Energy Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLE).

***Together these funds accounted for over 67% of inflows for the fist week of January***.

On the redemption side S&P 500 related ETFs that made up the bulk of the outflows were
Vanguard S&P 500 ETF (VOO)
Utilities Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLU).

Additionally,
Russell-related ETFs saw significant outflows from
iShares Russell 2000 ETF (RUT)
iShares Russell 1000 Value ETF (IWD)

as well as -

iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF (TLT)
SPDR Bloomberg High Yield Bond ETF (JNK)
iShares 3-7 Year Treasury Bond ETF (IEI)

Hope some find this information useful,
Have an awesome weekend  -  Go Green Bay!!!
 - Scoot

“The stock market is but a mirror which provides an image of the underlying or fundamental economic situation. Cause and effect run from the economy to the stock market, never the reverse. — John Kenneth Galbraith
I actually do find this interesting. Where did you find it?

The ETF inflows aren't shocking given the popular sectors have run fairly strong the past few weeks/month. I do find it odd that SPY and VOO are on opposite sides of the inflow/outflow as they are identical and huge.

My personally held utility stocks didn't get the memo yet but I sold covered calls as a dip is likely coming soon enough. I am amazed they ran in DEC in the face of rate hikes coming soon and T rates already rising.
(01-08-2022, 11:15 AM)fenders53 Wrote: 1. I actually do find this interesting.  Where did you find it?

2. ... I do find it odd that SPY and VOO are on opposite sides of the inflow/outflow as they are identical and huge.....

1. Fidelity research tools,
2. I also found that odd when I was reading prior to posting. VOO has the lower expense ratio, and slightly higher yield as well. Go Figure.

- Scoot
(01-08-2022, 12:12 PM)Scooterd Wrote:
(01-08-2022, 11:15 AM)fenders53 Wrote: 1. I actually do find this interesting.  Where did you find it?

2. ... I do find it odd that SPY and VOO are on opposite sides of the inflow/outflow as they are identical and huge.....

1. Fidelity research tools,
2. I also found that odd when I was reading prior to posting.  VOO has the lower expense ratio, and slightly higher yield as well. Go Figure.

- Scoot
I suppose the big picture is S&P wasn't too far from flat this week.  Regularly scheduled 401K inflows come in.  Institutions do what they do and I'm sure some were waiting for the tax year to pass so they could lock in some SPY gains.  Just as some were wise to lock in some losses last month to offset gains for 21.  This is probably the week when it may make the least sense at a glance.