Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cemanuel 2022 Portfolio Thread
It's hard to spend that much money efficiently, even if you spread it out like you did. You may or may not have time to ease in. You have plenty of dry power if some of them dip much further so it will workout well enough.
(02-22-2022, 05:18 PM)fenders53 Wrote: It's hard to spend that much money efficiently, even if you spread it out like you did.  You may or may not have time to ease in.  You have plenty of dry power if some of them dip much further so it will workout well enough.

I have time to ease in. It's battling my innate tendency to view filling the account as a "task." Have this whole perspective on those that boils down to wanting to check it off the list as complete.

Have 12 companies I could make a 2nd buy of today as they're all trading below my target price. But with futures pointing up I'm going to wait. Another pump-fake/mid-day reversal could be in the cards. Still a lot of uncertainty out there. Though I overplay this mentally. Cheaper is always better but in 13 years a 2% difference in the buy price won't mean much if I'm getting the right company.

At least HD is off the list, for the IRA, not the taxable account. The company's DGI thesis was confirmed yesterday, the growth thesis tossed out, at least for a while. Waiting on LOW to report before I decide if I want more than the starter buy.
I would have been excited to get the first third in and I would have a hard time dropping the last third in this market. It's just me. I'd like to think that is better than being reckless with FOMO over the course of an investing life. Sometimes I make frequent small purchases to humor myself, then try to pounce on larger dips. In any even the market is a bit oversold. I can see it rebound very soon, even if we eventually take another ride lower.
(02-23-2022, 07:40 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I would have been excited to get the first third in and I would have a hard time dropping the last third in this market.  It's just me.   I'd like to think that is better than being reckless with FOMO over the course of an investing life.  Sometimes I make frequent small purchases to humor myself, then try to pounce on larger dips. In any even the market is a bit oversold. I can see it rebound very soon, even if we eventually take another ride lower.

Not too far off from my feelings. I really wanted to get going yesterday and certainly didn't wait for lows - didn't buy at the day's highs either which is something. Now that I have at least some of everything I wanted, patience is much easier. Glad I consciously had a STV/FOMO "so what if it's a little high" approach to some companies. Got that mental jigsaw puzzle out of the way.

Not sure where I'll be when I start running low on cash. Suspect it'll be more like the last 5-10% rather than third but yeah, I'll likely start getting more hesitant. During COVID I made a lot of buys the week of 3/16 but held one $5k buy's worth back and didn't buy when it dropped even further the week of 3/23. Finally picked some $37 MO up with it in early May but I let the market spook me a bit there, could have gotten another double or triple.
(02-23-2022, 08:42 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 07:40 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I would have been excited to get the first third in and I would have a hard time dropping the last third in this market.  It's just me.   I'd like to think that is better than being reckless with FOMO over the course of an investing life.  Sometimes I make frequent small purchases to humor myself, then try to pounce on larger dips. In any even the market is a bit oversold. I can see it rebound very soon, even if we eventually take another ride lower.

Not too far off from my feelings. I really wanted to get going yesterday and certainly didn't wait for lows - didn't buy at the day's highs either which is something. Now that I have at least some of everything I wanted, patience is much easier. Glad I consciously had a STV/FOMO "so what if it's a little high" approach to some companies. Got that mental jigsaw puzzle out of the way.

Not sure where I'll be when I start running low on cash. Suspect it'll be more like the last 5-10% rather than third but yeah, I'll likely start getting more hesitant. During COVID I made a lot of buys the week of 3/16 but held one $5k buy's worth back and didn't buy when it dropped even further the week of 3/23. Finally picked some $37 MO up with it in early May but I let the market spook me a bit there, could have gotten another double or triple.
There was nothing like last year in my investing career.  It looked like it was all going to zero why we stayed home to die. Smile  Covid dip was rough on my port. I never hold much spec, but I had the perfect storm I had purchased a few months before.  An airline, restaurant, amusement park etc.  If it was a bad thing to own during a pandemic, I owned it and it got steamrolled.  I sold some of them to slow the bleeding and of course they bounced back in 90 days to my amazement.
(02-23-2022, 08:55 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 08:42 AM)cemanuel Wrote:

There was nothing like last year in my investing career.  It looked like it was all going to zero why we stayed home to die. Smile  Covid dip was rough on my port. I never hold much spec, but I had the perfect storm I had purchased a few months before.  An airline, restaurant, amusement park etc.  If it was a bad thing to own during a pandemic, I owned it and it got steamrolled.  I sold some of them to slow the bleeding and of course they bounced back in 90 days to my amazement.
My REITs were obliterated. I'd just bought APLE, a hotel REIT. Timing. :Sad Funny thing is I liked it before COVID and liked it even better during. Not as an investment but they navigated it very well. Had a couple of mREITs - destroyed. OHI, IRM and a couple of others did OK but overall that convinced me to get out of them. Not a bad investment, I'm just a bad investor in them.

Briefly debated whether I wanted to buy some complete turnarounds like cruise stocks, WYNN, etc., with this and decided not to - not to that level. Restaurants that had a rough time but came out the other side in decent shape are one thing but the capital structure of those sorts of companies has been butchered and it'll be a long time before they can crawl out from under it.
Certain sectors are just hard to time, and I don't have time or desire to obtain a PHD in every one of them. Smile I bought a lot of restaurants VERY low during Covid crash, (To include TXRH) I was proud of myself making a quick 20% then dumping them within weeks. Ugggh!

I can't make myself buy shares of cruiselines etc. Let the traders play. Some of them will be fighting to not BK if the economy does not fully cooperate for a long time. Maybe they will be fine but the price does NOT account for the risk, nor has it for most the past few years.
With WSM and SBUX paying, all my dividends are in for the month. Record month for me. Up 4.98% over last February, 9.31% over November.

Last month where comparisons will mean anything for a while with the IRA being activated. I didn't begin tracking the accounts separately until this year.
Here are numbers for February:

Metric                               IRAs                          Taxable                       Overall

Buys                                0 (Roth)                          0                               0

Sells                                 0 (Roth)                         0                                0

Dividend Increase 
over February, 2021         N/A                              4.98%                        N/A

Dividend Increase 
over November, 2021      52.79% (Roth only)         9.31%                         N/A

Change in value 
over 1/31/22                 -2.25% (Roth only)           -1.20%                       -1.30%

Current Dividend Yield      1.60% (Roth only)          2.61%                         2.54%

Change in 12-mo 
projected Dividend 
Income fr 1/31/22            irrelevant                        1.13%                        irrelevant

Organic/Internal 
annual DGR                      13.03% (includes IRA)     9.04%

I had no transactions for the month beyond those made related to the IRA - believe I'm at 61 there. I'll post a summary once I finish that up. I plan to track the two IRAs together so comparisons of, say, the dividend income projection from the Roth in January vs the combined accounts today are meaningless.

Two companies gave me dividend raises this month, ABBV and CVS.
You needed some quiet time in this port. The IRA transfer kept you entertained.
(03-01-2022, 09:18 AM)fenders53 Wrote: You needed some quiet time in this port.  The IRA transfer kept you entertained.

Still going on. 5 buys today. Have things to do today so gonna set some LBOs and get after them. I seem to do most of my buying near open and close anyway.
(03-01-2022, 10:28 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 09:18 AM)fenders53 Wrote: You needed some quiet time in this port.  The IRA transfer kept you entertained.

Still going on. 5 buys today. Have things to do today so gonna set some LBOs and get after them. I seem to do most of my buying near open and close anyway.
That is mostly when the action is 75% of the days.