Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Dividend Aristocrat changes - Current thru 10/21
For those with Interest -

Although the total number of dividend aristocrats remained stagnant at 65 between 2020 and 2021, there are actually three new members of the index over the last year or so, and three stocks were removed.

• The three newest dividend aristocrats: IBM 25 years, NextEra Energy 25 years, West Pharmaceutical Services (Although West Pharmaceutical has actually clocked 28 straight years of dividend growth, They are new to the S&P dividend aristocrats  because they joined the S&P 500 in 2020.
  • The three stocks exiting the index: Carrier Global Corp (Due to merger between United Technologies and Raytheon that created the newly formed aerospace and defense giant Raytheon Technologies (Carrier Global was spun off). Otis Worldwide Corp (Due to spin off as well to help make the Raytheon, United Technologies merger more amenable to regulators. The new company still pays a dividend, although no longer a dividend aristocrat. Raytheon Technologies Corp, RTX still pays a dividend, but it's no longer in the a dividend aristocrat index.
  • Notable mention: AT&T. - almost certain to forfeit its spot on this list in 2022 once the WarnerMedia transaction goes through.
Although Folks can garner this information elsewhere for themselves, I was bored so I thought I would provide for ease of reference for others in one place. Here's a full list of all 65 S&P 500 dividend aristocrats (Current through October 2021).

3M Co. (MMM) Industrials 63 Years
A.O. Smith Co. (AOS) Industrials 28 years
Abbott Laboratories (ABT)  Health care 49 years
AbbVie Inc. (ABBV) Health care 49 years
Aflac Inc. (AFL) Financials 38 years
Air Products and Chemicals Inc. (APD)  Materials 39 years
Albemarle Corp. (ALB) Materials 27 years
Amcor PLC (AMCR) Materials 38 years
Archer-Daniels-Midland Co. (ADM) Consumer staples 47 years
AT&T Inc. (T) Communications services 36 years
Atmos Energy Corp. (ATO) Utilities 34 years
Automatic Data Processing Inc. (ADP) Information technology 46 years
Becton, Dickinson & Co. (BDX) Health care 49 years
Brown-Forman Corp. (BF-B) Consumer staples 37 years
Cardinal Health Inc. (CAH) Health care 34 years
Caterpillar Inc. (CAT) Industrials 27 years
Chevron Corp. (CVX) Energy 34 years
Chubb Ltd. (CB) Financials 28 years
Cincinnati Financial Corp. (CINF) Financials 61 years
Cintas Corp. (CTAS) Industrials 37 years
The Clorox Co. (CLX) Consumer staples 45 years
The Coca-Cola Co. (KO) Consumer staples 59 years
Colgate-Palmolive Co. (CL) Consumer staples 59 years
Consolidated Edison Inc. (ED) Utilities 47 years
Dover Corp. (DOV) Industrials 65 years
Ecolab Inc. (ECL) Materials 29 years
Emerson Electric Co. (EMR) Industrials 59 years
Essex Property Trust Inc. (ESS) Real estate 27 years
Expeditors International of Washington Inc. (EXPD) Industrials 27 years
ExxonMobil Corp. (XOM) Energy 37 years
Federal Realty Investment Trust (FRT) Real estate 49 years
Franklin Resources Inc. (BEN) Financials 40 years
General Dynamics Corp. (GD) Industrials years
Genuine Parts Co. (GPC) Consumer discretionary 65 years
Hormel Foods Corp. (HRL) Consumer staples 55 years
Illinois Tool Works Inc. (ITW) Industrials 50 years
International Business Machines Corp. (IBM) Information technology 25 years
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Health care 59 years
Kimberly-Clark Corp. (KMB) Consumer staples 48 years
Leggett & Platt Inc. (LEG) Consumer discretionary 50 years
Linde PLC (LIN) Materials 28 years
Lowe's Companies Inc. (LOW) Consumer discretionary 47 years
McCormick & Co. (MKC) Consumer staples 35 years
McDonald's Corp. (MCD) Consumer discretionary 44 years
Medtronic PLC (MDT) Health care 43 years
NextEra Energy Inc. (NEE) Utilities 25 years
Nucor Corp. (NUE) Materials 48 years
Pentair PLC (PNR) Industrials 44 years
People's United Financial Inc. (PBCT) Financials 28 years
PepsiCo Inc. (PEP) Consumer staples 48 years
PPG Industries Inc. (PPG) Materials 49 years
The Procter & Gamble Co. (PG) Consumer staples 65 years
Realty Income Corp. (O) Real estate 26 years
Roper Technologies Inc. (ROP) Industrials 28 years
S&P Global Inc. (SPGI) Financials 48 years
Sherwin-Williams Co. (SHW) Materials 42 years
Stanley Black & Decker Inc. (SWK)  Industrials 53 years
Sysco Corp. (SYY) Consumer staples 41 years
T. Rowe Price Group Inc. (TROW) Financials 35 years
Target Corp. (TGT) Consumer discretionary 49 years
VF Corp. (VFC) Consumer discretionary 49 years
W.W. Grainger Inc. (GWW) Industrials 50 years
Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. (WBA) Consumer staples 45 years
Walmart Inc. (WMT) Consumer staples 48 years
West Pharmaceutical Services Inc. (WST) Health care 28 years

- Scoot
Thanks. I guess I am curious how ABT cut their dividend on the ABBV spin. I guess I would have to add up the RTX spin divs and perhaps answer my own question. So RTX waits 25 years to get back on the list while others raise a penny or two while floundering and remain. Obviously it's just a list and you research from there.
AT&T should forfeit its position more quickly - it paid the same dividend all four times in 2020 as it did in 2021, $.52. Not sure what they're waiting for, to me it's no longer on the lists.

Edit: Just saw in the title that this is through 10/21. I'm sure T is now gone from the lists.
(01-01-2022, 08:07 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Thanks.  I guess I am curious how ABT cut their dividend on the ABBV spin.  I guess I would have to add up the RTX spin divs and perhaps answer my own question.  So RTX waits 25 years to get back on the list while others raise a penny or two while floundering and remain.  Obviously it's just a list and you research from there.

The S&P list is a bit strange - not sure if this is from them. There have been cases where when a company split it stayed on the list so long as the combined dividends were increased the following year, and cases where they didn't. There are criteria to be on the S&P list but the final criterion is whatever company the list's governing body says belongs there. I was thinking a difference in the two was how it treated ABT/ABBV vs PM/MO.
They have a number of rules that seem to be fluid. I'm not saying Otis and Carrier should be granted Aristocrat status, but RTX would probably remain had they paid an adequate dividend for one year. Nothing against XOM but they waited about 7 quarters to give a token raise and pretty much financed the div for a year. It's not ruining my investing experience lol but the rules are being gamed.
I simply want a list of stocks that have raised the dividend enough to keep up with inflation for the last 25 years. IBM going $1.62 -> $1.63 -> $1.64 in the last 3 years is the antithesis of that.
(01-02-2022, 09:02 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I simply want a list of stocks that have raised the dividend enough to keep up with inflation for the last 25 years.  IBM going $1.62 -> $1.63 -> $1.64 in the last 3 years is the antithesis of that.

And they are deemed a new Aristocrat where they will remain for years.  There are many utilities that have never missed a div for 50 years, but froze it for years at a time.  The list is losing some meaning.   

I too want dividends that grow faster than inflation, but over a longer period.  A solid company that boosted it 3% this year coming out of a pandemic when inflation turned out to be 6% isn't a bust, provided inflation returns closer to normal as we expect it to. 

The better list is stocks with a 10 year div growth rate at 15%, that have survived a rough economic patch, and trying to make the aristocrat list.  Nothing really magical about 25 years.  Managing your balance sheet through two recessions means more to me.
(01-02-2022, 05:48 AM)cemanuel Wrote: AT&T should forfeit its position more quickly - it paid the same dividend all four times in 2020 as it did in 2021, $.52. Not sure what they're waiting for, to me it's no longer on the lists.

Edit: Just saw in the title that this is through 10/21. I'm sure T is now gone from the lists.

AT&T still on the list  -  I just checked NOBL ETF  (Bottom of page) carries a 1.42% weight  - https://www.proshares.com/our-etfs/strategic/nobl

GO PACK!!!! (Rift in family today as I need Dal to drop one against AZ. to secure first round bye)
Makes me question my choice of marrying a Texas gal Smile but I guess I'll keep her. Smile

- Scoot
AT&T still on the list

I probably should have said they'd no longer be on the list once it's updated. I don't know when or how often that happens. But the total dividend per share in 2021 is identical to the amount paid in 2020.
(01-02-2022, 10:07 AM)Scooterd Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 05:48 AM)cemanuel Wrote: AT&T should forfeit its position more quickly - it paid the same dividend all four times in 2020 as it did in 2021, $.52. Not sure what they're waiting for, to me it's no longer on the lists.

AT&T still on the list  -  I just checked NOBL ETF  (Bottom of page) carries a 1.42% weight  - https://www.proshares.com/our-etfs/strategic/nobl

GO PACK!!!! (Rift in family today as I need Dal to drop one against AZ. to secure first round bye)
Makes me question my choice of marrying a Texas gal  Smile but I guess I'll keep her. Smile

- Scoot
A lot of Packer fans in my circle but I love them anyway.  Smile
(01-02-2022, 10:20 AM)cemanuel Wrote: AT&T still on the list

I probably should have said they'd no longer be on the list once it's updated. I don't know when or how often that happens. But the total dividend per share in 2021 is identical to the amount paid in 2020.
It's about fiscal years which adds to the confusion.  Not sure if they have violated the official rules yet.
(01-02-2022, 10:22 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-02-2022, 10:20 AM)cemanuel Wrote: AT&T still on the list

It's about fiscal years which adds to the confusion.  Not sure if they have violated the official rules yet.

Agree