Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 2021 Dividend Income
With LMT paying I can calculate my dividend income for 2021. After three years of increases of 30-40% I could talk (brag) about, this year's is just 2.45%.

Now for the justification (rationalization? Excuses?).

If you take away the two MSM special dividends from 2020 it comes to 6.76% - this probably is the actual "real" increase number.

If you take away what I did to my Roth it's likely more like 13-14%. I haven't done a precise calculation but when you replace IRM, OHI, ARCC, etc., with AMZN, PYPL and CHWY well, it has an impact. I didn't start tracking the Roth separately until September. I could figure out the number but not going to bother. I know it was significant. At the end of last December my Roth yield was 7.28%. Today it's 2.74%.

My dividend increase goal for next year in my Taxable Account, with dividends being used to live on and occasional AAPL sales, is 6%.

I'll have more details when I post my annual portfolio review. I'll do something here though it won't resemble my SA blog posts which are 3,000 or more words. Thinking I'll start a thread and reply to myself with different sections and charts. And many fewer words.
It's OK, sometimes I talk to myself too. Smile I knocked my yield down some this year but growth is about 7% before reinvestment. I don't know if I can reasonably expect much more for the overall port.
Looking forward to it.
Our 2021 dividend growth will be 11.5% and that includes dividend reinvestment. Our stocks plus SCHD portfolio would have been 7.2% without reinvestent. Toss in our 4 CEFs and it would have been 5.9% without reinvestment.

I do not really know how to think about without dividend reinvestment. The dividends make up about 15% of our income, and it is a part of our margin lf safety. I do not anticipate needing to take any of them as cash in 2022, but at the age of 70 I know that unanticipated things can happen.

Looking at a bigger number in 2022. Thanks in part to a good special in Janaury from NIE, and a 32% increase in NIE's regular distribution - and those nice dividend increases for next year already announced by CM, TD, WEC, ENB, and others, the projection for 2022 is already up a bit over 8% over 2021 - and that does not include dividend reinvestments or further dividend increase announcements from our other companies.
My projection for 2022 is almost dead flat compared with 2021 but it doesn't account for any increases during the year. But it also doesn't account for whatever will happen with T - it's about 5% of total income using current payout, even considering how much I've sold. On the plus side, January 2022 dividends look to be about 11% above January 2021.

But it's the taxable account where dividends matter. Those look better but I didn't separately track them through 2021 so I won't have anything to do a YoY comparison with until September.
(12-24-2021, 08:03 AM)rnsmth Wrote: Our 2021 dividend growth will be 11.5% and that includes dividend reinvestment.  Our stocks plus SCHD portfolio would have been 7.2% without reinvestent.  Toss in our 4 CEFs and it would have been 5.9% without reinvestment.

I do not really know how to think about without dividend reinvestment.  The dividends make up about 15% of our income, and it is a part of our margin lf safety.  I do not anticipate needing to take any of them as cash in 2022, but at the age of 70 I know that unanticipated things can happen.

Looking at a bigger number in 2022.  Thanks in part to a good special in Janaury from NIE, and a 32% increase in NIE's regular distribution - and those nice dividend increases for next year already announced by CM, TD, WEC, ENB, and others, the projection for 2022 is already up a bit over 8% over 2021 - and that does not include dividend reinvestments or further dividend increase announcements from our other companies.
You have a good handle on your dividend plan.  Mine is in a bit of disarray as I get settled in for retirement.  I am thinking I am only going to get about 5% dividend growth if I try to exceed 3 1/2% port yield.