Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, so we are old and retired. Now what??
i read an article, in silicone valley/tech industry that 10 to 12mil seemed to be the magic number for people to just walk away no matter what age

I disagree though I also think there's a "this depends" factor in it. I have 80% of my budget coming from dividends. So you can immediately divide whatever value figure you come up with by 5 - so long as you can make sales without reducing your income relative to inflation.

Then there's location, lifestyle, etc. I like my present lifestyle and don't plan to change it much except for travel. I live in rural Central Indiana. Whatever number I might come up with would be very different if I lived in, say, San Francisco or Manhattan. Indianapolis is a 30-minute drive, Chicago a bit over two hours and I have a car - that's close enough for me to get my fill of "city" whenever I want.

Anyway, my retirement budget is 20% higher than my highest working salary, I have far less than $10m and I have an ample margin of safety to maintain my retirement cash flows. In fact, I have a chunk of change that I shouldn't ever need to touch until the IRS tells me I have to take RMDs.

Whoever says $10m either lives in a very expensive location or has a much more ostentatious lifestyle than I do, or both. I can take that much and turn it into $300k/year dividend income with a 6% annual growth rate pretty easily. If someone needs that much to live on my hat's off to them but it sure isn't me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ok, so we are old and retired. Now what?? - by cemanuel - 02-07-2022, 08:24 AM