Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, so we are old and retired. Now what??
(12-22-2021, 04:02 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Righty, so something about my own plans.

I'm actually relatively young, age still starts with a 3. But I've had enough of this working life, at least for now. Basically I've worked super difficult / hard jobs all my life and my life has, so far, just revolved around work. Don't get me wrong, I have had an absolute blast and I have zero regrets, but there is so much more to life than work.

Basically what I am after is more financial independence than "retirement." I want to be in a position where I do what I want, when I want. If it is to go fishing and drink beer then I'll do that. If I see an interesting job offer and feel like giving it a shot then I'll apply and go do that. I know I will need to keep myself busy, so some random interesting work or maybe starting a business are definitely on the table. The point is: I want to be over and done with the situation where I go to work only because I need the money to survive.

Financially, I think I've reached that point already. I believe my dividends will be enough to give me the cash flow I need for a simple but good life. I do not require much. As I said earlier, I don't mind working a bit here and there (in fact, it's a necessity so I don't get too bored!) but the cash flow used for everyday expenses will be coming from my investments. I might even end up working full time at some point again, but if that is the case then it will be because the job has more to offer than just money.

I'm still employed, but I will be quitting sometime in 2022, most likely in the first half. I always said that I'm racing against fenders to see who can retire first. Looks like it'll be close!

First order of business is to settle down somewhere, I've been basically living out of my backpack for the better part of the last decade. Scratch that. It's been more than a full decade now since I actually had a permanent residence. And then I guess it'll be a few months of just taking it easy and enjoying life, maybe focusing on my university studies a bit more. Who knows what happens after that, but I'm curious to find out.

I've been aiming for financial independence since I was 20 or something, and very actively pursuing it for at least the past decade. Now it's only one resignation letter away. Feels amazing, and quite odd at the same time.

Thanks for sharing all of that; I really had no idea what your situation was like.  I had a co-worker who felt similarly.  He had done a stint in the navy, then come to work at my company, but really just planned to build up enough money to invest it in municipal bonds and live off the interest (since he didn't want to pay taxes).  He moved out of the Boston area when he had enough and got himself the smallest, cheapest apartment he could find, then we lost touch.

I too am after financial independence; I may work as long as I want to, but I don't want to worry about losing my job. Until child support ends, I likely won't have much of a choice.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ok, so we are old and retired. Now what?? - by ken-do-nim - 12-25-2021, 09:03 AM