Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, so we are old and retired. Now what??
(12-27-2021, 10:25 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 04:39 PM)cemanuel Wrote: We did used to argue about one thing. Saturday mornings. He wanted to watch the Smurfs. I wanted Bugs Bunny. Our apt was sort of a stopping point between the Thirsty Bear Tavern on North Campus and the Fraternity we were members of but didn't live in so there was usually an audience that crashed in our living room the night before. Those were epic, we'd get folks howling. Little friggin' blue tree people, grrr . . .

I used to say I'd be ready to get married when I built a house big enough to have separate wings where each of us could go and the other wouldn't have a key to. I built a new one in 2014 and started dating the current GF in 2015. She lives about 45 minutes away which is perfect, has her own career, etc. Anyway, she bought a house last summer - I think we may just be getting ready to tie the knot. The separation requirement may actually have been reached. Wink

A good friend of mine, secretary for 20 years, always says the only reason she and her husband are still married is because he's a truck driver who goes on a lot of long runs.

So you're going to do the married-but-live-separately thing?  Wow.

I suppose I'll be like that a bit too, since I go to a lot of gaming conventions.

I'm 4 days into vacation now, and already starting to think about work.  I couldn't imagine being retired yet.

I was not serious which is why I used an Wink after the statement. That's called an emoticon and the wink indicates that I was not making the comment in earnest.

Though I wouldn't be completely opposed to it. She's a chaplain for a retirement community and needs to be able to get there on pretty short notice. I live on 10 acres that we both love.
Proof about how beneficial retirement is for brain function. I play a Microsoft game, Spider - used to be called Spider Solitaire - during idle moments. Used to be I'd mostly do this for a little while after work to unwind/decompress. Half the time I wasn't even thinking about what I was doing, just randomly clicking. When I retired my win % - Grandmaster level for those who play it - was just a tickle over 38%, something like 38.14%. 

Now I play it in the morning between looking over markets and stuff instead of getting ready for work. My current win rate is 39.41% and this is with 2,286 games played so we're not talking about a small sample size..

So it's proof - retirement makes you smarter!  Big Grin
That does sound excellent! Honestly, can't wait to also jump into that lifestyle.

I essentially have two potential exit points: February and April. Just need to decide between those two.
(12-29-2021, 08:27 AM)cemanuel Wrote: So it's proof - retirement makes you smarter!  Big Grin

I was told I needed to develop a routine to stay active. After hearing this over and over again I finally acquiesced, (mainly to appease) So here is mine new schedule- https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/6129...L1200_.jpg (it's important to set the right tone early (even with those of good intentions) Smile
(12-29-2021, 10:30 AM)Scooterd Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 08:27 AM)cemanuel Wrote: So it's proof - retirement makes you smarter!  Big Grin

I was told I needed to develop a routine to stay active. After hearing this over and over again I finally acquiesced, (mainly to appease) So here is mine new schedule- https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/6129...L1200_.jpg (it's important to set the right tone early (even with those of good intentions) Smile

Love it!
I was told I needed to develop a routine to stay active. After hearing this over and over again I finally acquiesced, (mainly to appease) So here is mine new schedule- https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/6129...L1200_.jpg (it's important to set the right tone early (even with those of good intentions) [Image: smile.gif]

That's hilarious! (And going in my shopping cart)
The coffee cup is funny, and I can already tell I am going to need a routine for part of the day, especially during winter.
The coffee cup is funny, and I can already tell I am going to need a routine for part of the day, especially during winter.

I had a booth at a Conference in early December and talked to a friend of mine who is also retiring at the end of this year. He said a friend of his, after finding out his date, told him that retiring in the winter is a bad idea. Not enough to do.

A week in and my routine after getting up, eating breakfast, and doing my Internet browsing, includes - still hoping to begin waking up at 5:30/6 instead of 4:
  • 8:30 - work out (the cool down includes walking to my mailbox for the mail, about a quarter mile (house is over 600' from the road)
  • 9:30 - 10:00 - check markets at open
  • 10:30 - make some excuse to get out of the place just to get moving
That's it so far - right now re-arranging my home office from a "when I want to work from home" to a "retired and do my own crap" office - but at least in the winter joining a group of retired peoples at a coffee shop to solve all the world's problems will be a chunk of some days.

For spring, summer and fall I have no worries. 10 acres to take care of and some old barns that need work. Interestingly, if it ever gets cold enough for the ground to freeze it also won't be a problem. I have a fence row to clear but it's too wet to take either the truck or tractor back there. Within reason of course - 20 or more below wind chills will keep me indoors but "normal cold" and I'll be out.
I do have some winter hobbies as my woodshop is heated. I have worked full or part-time for the past three years, but the past two winters I catch myself playing stock market way too many hours of the days I don't work. I was always a self starter throughout my life. Clearly some of that was because I had a routine. And more time on stock research is good, but market watching can lead to fixing things that weren't broken. I enjoy it, but that doesn't mean it's always productive. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Well.
The decision is in. From my side that is, now it's up to the employer to figure out when to let me go officially.
But in 5 weeks or less, I'll be done with the "must work for money" lifestyle. I consider it retirement, though as I have mentioned before I am pretty sure that I'll end up taking up a job or two somewhere along the way if something interesting enough comes by.

Feels good. Feels really good.
I have absolutely no idea what I'll do.
Apparently that is the point. Smile
(01-07-2022, 11:24 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Well.
The decision is in. From my side that is, now it's up to the employer to figure out when to let me go officially.
But in 5 weeks or less, I'll be done with the "must work for money" lifestyle. I consider it retirement, though as I have mentioned before I am pretty sure that I'll end up taking up a job or two somewhere along the way if something interesting enough comes by.

Congratulations!!! Big, big news.

I still have no idea what I'll do - and that goes for every day.

Sleeping better, more energy, feel mentally sharper - and this is only a week in.
(01-07-2022, 11:24 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Well.

Very exciting!  There's a great big world out there so go explore it.