Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, so we are old and retired. Now what??
(12-23-2021, 06:39 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 08:45 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 04:05 PM)cemanuel Wrote: OK - it's 4:00 p.m. Eastern, 1600 hours, 9:00 GMT - whatever time it is, I'M RETIRED!!!!

I'm now off to do whatever it is that retired people do. What is that?

Oh yeah - whatever the hell I want! Smile

Woohoo!!!

Enjoy.

Now it's time you learned how to play D&D Smile

There was a group in college that were obsessed with this - 40 years ago. I suspect they eventually died out. Why do I think this? Here comes a story . . .

At Cornell we lived in an old dorm, Clara Dickson, my first year. This was something called The Transfer Center for those of us poor slobs who couldn't afford four years there but did the first 2 someplace cheaper. This dorm was co-ed - by room. They were singles. Seeing the sign on the bathroom when I first walked in was an eye-opener but that's another story. However there were corner suites which were doubles - with an inner and outer room and their own bathroom. My next-year roommate Brian had one of these which was perfect for him. Just a very social person. It would have been wasted on me.

This suite happened to be right next to the TV Lounge. Every day at around 2 p.m. these D&D guys would take up space and start watching their shows. I don't know the details but at 3 p.m. it was Get Smart. So every day a little before 3 all these girls started to show up, wanting to watch General Hospital. These never-to-be-procreative guys would respond, "We were here first." Not sure how many GH aficionados are here but this was in the days of Luke and Laura, a wedding, an ice princess or something (how I know these things will soon be revealed).

So every day Brian - or I if he couldn't make it (his roommate was a secret D&D crowd sympathizer, I'm certain of it) threw the door to his room open and turned the volume up on his 13" TV a few minutes before 3. It wasn't long before we had a regular afternoon crowd of 20 or so young women in to watch GH while Brian and I played host - non-alcoholic except Fridays.

So when it comes to D&D, no thanks. I have seen where that path leads.

i use to watch General Hospital with my grandmother and i forget days of our lives or as the world turns with my other grandmother--just happened to be where i was at the moment--one house or the other

congratulations on your retirement!

our vet--dr. clifford cummings went to cornell--very good doc! better then some of my docs

and he wears a rolex lol
Can't even believe I am chatting about soap operas but I cut my teeth on Days of our lives. Mom saw every episode. Doug and Julie if I remember correctly? That has to be the 1960's or maybe a little later. My mother asked me to take my sister and her friend to their first rock concert. Rick Springfield and I think he was on a soap opera. My sis still loves me for enduring that phase. Smile
(12-22-2021, 04:02 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Righty, so something about my own plans.

I'm actually relatively young, age still starts with a 3. But I've had enough of this working life, at least for now. Basically I've worked super difficult / hard jobs all my life and my life has, so far, just revolved around work. Don't get me wrong, I have had an absolute blast and I have zero regrets, but there is so much more to life than work.

Basically what I am after is more financial independence than "retirement." I want to be in a position where I do what I want, when I want. If it is to go fishing and drink beer then I'll do that. If I see an interesting job offer and feel like giving it a shot then I'll apply and go do that. I know I will need to keep myself busy, so some random interesting work or maybe starting a business are definitely on the table. The point is: I want to be over and done with the situation where I go to work only because I need the money to survive.

Financially, I think I've reached that point already. I believe my dividends will be enough to give me the cash flow I need for a simple but good life. I do not require much. As I said earlier, I don't mind working a bit here and there (in fact, it's a necessity so I don't get too bored!) but the cash flow used for everyday expenses will be coming from my investments. I might even end up working full time at some point again, but if that is the case then it will be because the job has more to offer than just money.

I'm still employed, but I will be quitting sometime in 2022, most likely in the first half. I always said that I'm racing against fenders to see who can retire first. Looks like it'll be close!

First order of business is to settle down somewhere, I've been basically living out of my backpack for the better part of the last decade. Scratch that. It's been more than a full decade now since I actually had a permanent residence. And then I guess it'll be a few months of just taking it easy and enjoying life, maybe focusing on my university studies a bit more. Who knows what happens after that, but I'm curious to find out.

I've been aiming for financial independence since I was 20 or something, and very actively pursuing it for at least the past decade. Now it's only one resignation letter away. Feels amazing, and quite odd at the same time.

Thanks for sharing all of that; I really had no idea what your situation was like.  I had a co-worker who felt similarly.  He had done a stint in the navy, then come to work at my company, but really just planned to build up enough money to invest it in municipal bonds and live off the interest (since he didn't want to pay taxes).  He moved out of the Boston area when he had enough and got himself the smallest, cheapest apartment he could find, then we lost touch.

I too am after financial independence; I may work as long as I want to, but I don't want to worry about losing my job. Until child support ends, I likely won't have much of a choice.
our vet--dr. clifford cummings went to cornell--very good doc! better then some of my docs

and he wears a rolex lol

When I was in school if you wanted to be a vet a lot of people got into Medical School and transferred after sophomore year to vet school. There have been 27 vet schools in the US pretty much forever. A lot more medical schools. It fluctuates but at the time getting into medical school was a lot easier.
The routine three days in:

4 a.m. - Get up. Hope this changes, used to get into work before open so I could get stuff done ahead of the phone ringing. I think a 6 or so wakeup would be good.
4-4:30 a.m. - Stuff nobody wants to know details about
4:30-5:30 a.m. - Drink coffee, browse web
6 a.m. - Breakfast, browse websites to around 8 (this is a change)
8:30 a.m. - Work out
9:00 a.m., at least today, call my GF and sister. If I'd known earlier the GF was gonna be out of town I'd have probably looked for someplace to volunteer today. Instead I'm going through the stuff from my office to sort into three groups: Junk, store away, keep

Only other "plan" is to watch the Colts at 8. Or whatever portion of the team isn't on the COVID list.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

I know, not really a retirement plan - more like a retirement transition. It's 60 degrees here - if it wasn't for the rain I'd go outside and do something.
(12-23-2021, 06:39 AM)cemanuel Wrote: So every day Brian - or I if he couldn't make it (his roommate was a secret D&D crowd sympathizer, I'm certain of it) threw the door to his room open and turned the volume up on his 13" TV a few minutes before 3. It wasn't long before we had a regular afternoon crowd of 20 or so young women in to watch GH while Brian and I played host - non-alcoholic except Fridays.

Brian is a genius! What became of him?

We had the one TV and no other screens, and my sister was still bigger than me at the time, so I got my fill of GH as well. I remember Luke and Laura trying to stop Mekos Cassedine from somehow using some sort of freeze-ray to freeze Port Charles???

Sure glad I have some of my dwindling brain cells devoted to THAT!
Brian is a genius! What became of him?

Ran his own Flower Shop in New City, Rockland County. We were the ultimate Odd Couple in college. Cracked everyone up. He liked flowers and people used to call him Mr. GQ. I played polo and was on the rodeo team. We told people we got along so well because we had so little in common that we never had anything to argue about.

He was about to sell the shop and retire when cancer took him a few years ago. That was a shock, early-50's. Also got me a lot more serious about retirement planning.
(12-25-2021, 12:11 PM)cemanuel Wrote: Brian is a genius! What became of him?

Ran his own Flower Shop in New City, Rockland County. We were the ultimate Odd Couple in college. Cracked everyone up. He liked flowers and people used to call him Mr. GQ. I played polo and was on the rodeo team. We told people we got along so well because we had so little in common that we never had anything to argue about.

He was about to sell the shop and retire when cancer took him a few years ago. That was a shock, early-50's. Also got me a lot more serious about retirement planning.

I really think there is some validity in that.  I tell people I've been married for 35 years and at least 30 of them were happy lol.  We had very little in common.  She thought investing was a waste of perfectly good spending money.   Smile  She didn't care if I played in the garage 20HRs a week.  I let her do her thing too.  Over time she did become interested in some of my hobbies.  My wife (and my daughter) have watched so many New Yankee Workshop episodes that they can now talk intelligently about joinery techniques even though they have mostly just watched me do it.
We did used to argue about one thing. Saturday mornings. He wanted to watch the Smurfs. I wanted Bugs Bunny. Our apt was sort of a stopping point between the Thirsty Bear Tavern on North Campus and the Fraternity we were members of but didn't live in so there was usually an audience that crashed in our living room the night before. Those were epic, we'd get folks howling. Little friggin' blue tree people, grrr . . .

I used to say I'd be ready to get married when I built a house big enough to have separate wings where each of us could go and the other wouldn't have a key to. I built a new one in 2014 and started dating the current GF in 2015. She lives about 45 minutes away which is perfect, has her own career, etc. Anyway, she bought a house last summer - I think we may just be getting ready to tie the knot. The separation requirement may actually have been reached. Wink

A good friend of mine, secretary for 20 years, always says the only reason she and her husband are still married is because he's a truck driver who goes on a lot of long runs.
(12-25-2021, 04:39 PM)cemanuel Wrote: We did used to argue about one thing. Saturday mornings. He wanted to watch the Smurfs. I wanted Bugs Bunny. Our apt was sort of a stopping point between the Thirsty Bear Tavern on North Campus and the Fraternity we were members of but didn't live in so there was usually an audience that crashed in our living room the night before. Those were epic, we'd get folks howling. Little friggin' blue tree people, grrr . . .

I used to say I'd be ready to get married when I built a house big enough to have separate wings where each of us could go and the other wouldn't have a key to. I built a new one in 2014 and started dating the current GF in 2015. She lives about 45 minutes away which is perfect, has her own career, etc. Anyway, she bought a house last summer - I think we may just be getting ready to tie the knot. The separation requirement may actually have been reached. Wink

A good friend of mine, secretary for 20 years, always says the only reason she and her husband are still married is because he's a truck driver who goes on a lot of long runs.
Reminds me of an old story.  Minutes before I got married I told the Pastor.... 

"I'm nervous, if I can just get through this, marriage will be easy".

He used that line to open the ceremony and the audience roared with laughter.  A few years later I realized that may have been the most ridiculous statement I will ever make.   Big Grin    

Several of my friends married their high school sweethearts. Never saw them separated.  Dream couples.  Seemed like they were not allowed to do things separately.  I don't know if it was insecurity, but it didn't work out long at all.  If my wife told me she was going to Vegas without me for a week I'd book her tickets, then tell her watch the dogs while I go on a cool fishing trip with a stop at a classic truck show.
my sister was the smurfs

i was looney tunes

bugs bunny, pepe' le pew and et al

then of course tom and jerry

flinestones

then happy days, laverne and shirley

i got into mash during the 1990's reruns
(12-25-2021, 04:39 PM)cemanuel Wrote: We did used to argue about one thing. Saturday mornings. He wanted to watch the Smurfs. I wanted Bugs Bunny. Our apt was sort of a stopping point between the Thirsty Bear Tavern on North Campus and the Fraternity we were members of but didn't live in so there was usually an audience that crashed in our living room the night before. Those were epic, we'd get folks howling. Little friggin' blue tree people, grrr . . .

So you're going to do the married-but-live-separately thing?  Wow.

I suppose I'll be like that a bit too, since I go to a lot of gaming conventions.

I'm 4 days into vacation now, and already starting to think about work.  I couldn't imagine being retired yet.