Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, so we are old and retired. Now what??
(12-22-2021, 08:45 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 04:05 PM)cemanuel Wrote: OK - it's 4:00 p.m. Eastern, 1600 hours, 9:00 GMT - whatever time it is, I'M RETIRED!!!!

I'm now off to do whatever it is that retired people do. What is that?

Oh yeah - whatever the hell I want! Smile

Woohoo!!!

Enjoy.

Now it's time you learned how to play D&D Smile

There was a group in college that were obsessed with this - 40 years ago. I suspect they eventually died out. Why do I think this? Here comes a story . . .

At Cornell we lived in an old dorm, Clara Dickson, my first year. This was something called The Transfer Center for those of us poor slobs who couldn't afford four years there but did the first 2 someplace cheaper. This dorm was co-ed - by room. They were singles. Seeing the sign on the bathroom when I first walked in was an eye-opener but that's another story. However there were corner suites which were doubles - with an inner and outer room and their own bathroom. My next-year roommate Brian had one of these which was perfect for him. Just a very social person. It would have been wasted on me.

This suite happened to be right next to the TV Lounge. Every day at around 2 p.m. these D&D guys would take up space and start watching their shows. I don't know the details but at 3 p.m. it was Get Smart. So every day a little before 3 all these girls started to show up, wanting to watch General Hospital. These never-to-be-procreative guys would respond, "We were here first." Not sure how many GH aficionados are here but this was in the days of Luke and Laura, a wedding, an ice princess or something (how I know these things will soon be revealed).

So every day Brian - or I if he couldn't make it (his roommate was a secret D&D crowd sympathizer, I'm certain of it) threw the door to his room open and turned the volume up on his 13" TV a few minutes before 3. It wasn't long before we had a regular afternoon crowd of 20 or so young women in to watch GH while Brian and I played host - non-alcoholic except Fridays.

So when it comes to D&D, no thanks. I have seen where that path leads.
Entertaining story. Ken's ended different though. He found a bride that would later take half his stuff. I've never played D&D. I think Ken plays board games competitively. It's his thing.
Ooh, I went to Cornell too! I remember Clara Dickson! I lived across the street in Risley. So many hook up stories I heard about in Clara Dickson (lots in my dorm too, esp. around Rocky Horror time). By the time I went to Cornell, we all gathered around dinner time to watch Star Trek Next Generation episodes, and there were just as many women as men interested. I was involved in the sci fi club. I keep meaning to start one on meetup here in the Boston area.

I also remember the Luke/Laura saga on General Hospital, but I don't think I was even in junior high yet Smile

Board games and D&D are much more co-ed now. Local libraries have board game nights just about every Thursday in my area, and I'd say it is 50/50 men/women. Both of my current role-playing groups have 1 woman in them. Admittedly not many female posters over on the D&D forum Dragonsfoot (I use the same handle there), but we have a handful.

I wouldn't say I play competitively; I don't mind losing I just like to get together with people and have fun. Many games nowadays are co-operative such as Pandemic, Eldritch Horror, Forbidden Island, or mostly co-operative but with one traitor like Shadows over Camelot and Betrayal at House on the Hill.
"Ooh, I went to Cornell too! I remember Clara Dickson! I lived across the street in Risley. So many hook up stories I heard about in Clara Dickson (lots in my dorm too, esp. around Rocky Horror time)."

At the time I was there Mary Donlon was all-female, complete with men having to sign in/out. We called it "The Nunnery." We were a bit more social. Was Risley the one we called The Holiday Inn? There was one shaped like a hotel. Or do I have that mixed up? Balch Hall was there too, being something. Unless it's changed a lot I could still find my way around but can't recall the specific place-names.

The protocol for when someone stopped in to use our showers to, er, get busy was this: There was a hose hooked up to the cold winter under one of the sinks. And we hadn't even come across the, "It puts the lotion in the basket or else . . ." saying. Too bad.

Winter was better - we were on the ground floor. There was a bucket and we'd fill it with snow - sometimes we'd notify the floor and everyone would grab their trash baskets from their rooms and we'd go full fireman's ladder on 'em.

"Board games and D&D are much more co-ed now."

There's a Books 'n Brews not far from where I live. We keep meaning to get there.
A stroll down memory lane ... whoops I forgot to circle Balch Hall but you can see it. That's the one that is actually directly across the street from Risley.

[Image: resized_7bed3230-9798-4829-b97f-dfc76016f07c.png]

Mary Donlon was all-female with sign-in rules when I was there too. I'm guessing you are thinking that one looks hotel shaped.
I keep thinking of getting back there. The problem is, it isn't between here and, well, any place.

And to get back on-topic, evidently "Now what?" for me means telling stories about the good old days online to people I barely know. Wink At least, this is how day 1 is going. On SA some of us are wondering why a clock is such a popular retirement gift when clocks are something we're trying to get away from.
(12-23-2021, 09:11 AM)cemanuel Wrote: I keep thinking of getting back there. The problem is, it isn't between here and, well, any place.

And to get back on-topic, evidently "Now what?" for me means telling stories about the good old days online to people I barely know. Wink At least, this is how day 1 is going. On SA some of us are wondering why a clock is such a popular retirement gift when clocks are something we're trying to get away from.

Well I recommend going to the gym on day 1 and making it a part of your routine from here on out.  Now is your chance to really get into shape.
[attachment=313 Wrote:ken-do-nim pid='31046' dateline='1640269940']
(12-23-2021, 09:11 AM)cemanuel Wrote: I keep thinking of getting back there. The problem is, it isn't between here and, well, any place.

Well I recommend going to the gym on day 1 and making it a part of your routine from here on out.  Now is your chance to really get into shape.

No need. Have full equipment at home - not every machine but a bike, bench and free weights. Also resistance bands and an exercise ball, don't use those much though. And yes I did at about 8:45.    
Awesome, great job.
i really like this thread lol

crimson!! you're a BABY!!

at 36 i was going through rounds and rounds of cancer treatments then rounds and rounds of that hyperbolic oxygen chamber because i had to do some procedures--freak it--it was tough

now i'm 50--retiring will happen 5 to 10 years from now

but i'm grumpy enough to be here--maybe more then most, grumpy that is
(12-24-2021, 10:04 AM)rayray Wrote: i really like this thread lol

crimson!! you're a BABY!!

at 36 i was going through rounds and rounds of cancer treatments then rounds and rounds of that hyperbolic oxygen chamber because i had to do some procedures--freak it--it was tough

now i'm 50--retiring will happen 5 to 10 years from now

but i'm grumpy enough to be here--maybe more then most, grumpy that is
Can you even believe Crimson is walking on our lawn without permission.   Big Grin  I knew he was young and doing his version of FIRE. 

And yes you are grumpy enough to be on this thread lol.
i actually volunteered to be on-call this christmas (saturday) so someone didn't get forced or refused and get in trouble--so i volunteered

i got so many thanku's yesterday it made it quite awkward--some where like ray you're ruining your reputation!