Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First portfolio
I've got my standard retired day all planned out:

7 AM - wake-up, small breakfast like a couple eggs or oatmeal, read the news
8 AM - 9 AM - go to the gym. Do something different every day so it doesn't get boring
9 AM - 10 AM - a 'proper' breakfast Smile
10 AM - 10:30 AM - chores
10:30 AM - 2:00 PM - reading and creativity time
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM - go out and do something. Might be to visit an art museum. Might be head to the game store and play board games.
5:00 PM - start working on dinner

I might want to reverse the reading/creativity period and the going out period. Dunno. Smile
(12-21-2021, 12:06 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I've got my standard retired day all planned out:

7 AM - wake-up, small breakfast like a couple eggs or oatmeal, read the news
8 AM - 9 AM - go to the gym.  Do something different every day so it doesn't get boring
9 AM - 10 AM - a 'proper' breakfast Smile
10 AM - 10:30 AM - chores
10:30 AM - 2:00 PM - reading and creativity time
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM - go out and do something.  Might be to visit an art museum.  Might be head to the game store and play board games.
5:00 PM - start working on dinner

I might want to reverse the reading/creativity period and the going out period. Dunno. Smile
30 minutes for chores?  You're supposed to be retired.  You should be doing something important like surfing the internet or trading stocks.  Big Grin
Thanks for all the advice. I already started cleaning it up. Im left with T and VALE for now. I'll get back to this forum when I get off work. Im at lunch and typing from my phone. - Matt
(12-21-2021, 11:18 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 09:55 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 09:29 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 07:31 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Congrats cemanuel on completing your career!!!!

Thank you. I'm in a strange sort of limbo. This morning I just sent in my final report - ever. This is the last actual work-related duty I have left to me. I now will sit at my desk until 4 p.m. tomorrow afternoon with nothing to do but read blogs.

Beats the alternative. The imp in me wants to go to the supply closet and re-organize everything so nobody can find a pencil when they need it. Better to read stuff here.
LOL, yeah, don't be that guy.  I guess we'll hijack the original poster's thread until he returns.   Big Grin

Do you have firm plans for retirement activities?  I had a three year stint of full retirement.  I had a lot of plans.  Did many with great vigor.  I also look around the hose and property at some projects I should have taken care of 5 years ago.  I need to be a little more efficient next spring when I re-retire.

I do not. Travel is a given. Beyond that I have this whole mental list I call "Possibilities." I really don't know which ones I'll do or if others will come up. I have told everyone that for the first six months if they call me up and ask me to do something, the answer will be "no." Not if it's just to be a warm body someplace like check in runners for a charitable 5k or something. But anything with actual ongoing responsibilities will be turned down. My job the first six months is to be retired. Then I'll figure out how to fill in around the edges of that. And maybe I'll be doing enough that I don't need to do any filling at all.
I like this plan a lot. I'm stealing it as of April 1 next year...  Big Grin
April 1st, wow. Feels like half the forum is retiring soon.
(12-21-2021, 11:18 AM)cemanuel Wrote: I do not. Travel is a given. Beyond that I have this whole mental list I call "Possibilities." I really don't know which ones I'll do or if others will come up. I have told everyone that for the first six months if they call me up and ask me to do something, the answer will be "no." Not if it's just to be a warm body someplace like check in runners for a charitable 5k or something. But anything with actual ongoing responsibilities will be turned down. My job the first six months is to be retired. Then I'll figure out how to fill in around the edges of that. And maybe I'll be doing enough that I don't need to do any filling at all.

Congrats indeed! I'm only temporarily retired (I think!) and that is exactly what I'm doing -- every good or exciting idea that comes to me or that someone suggests goes into a spreadsheet so I don't forget about it, and then is promptly ignored. This is the rest / relax / brainstorm phase. Just trying to become human again after so many years of stress. I'll start thinking seriously about next steps when it starts to get warm out again.

Well done.

And what kind of horse training did you do, by the way? I was never a huge fan of the races, but my dad was, so I grew up going to Laurel and Pimlico every weekend, and even to Freestate on some weeknights. Dad even owned part of a thoroughbred for a couple of years.
(12-21-2021, 02:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: April 1st, wow.  Feels like half the forum is retiring soon.

It does.
I will most likely also be joining that crew, at least for a while, in 2022.

I'll start a proper thread in the off topic section where we can discuss our boring retirement lifestyle.
(12-21-2021, 03:31 PM)Kerim Wrote: And what kind of horse training did you do, by the way? I was never a huge fan of the races, but my dad was, so I grew up going to Laurel and Pimlico every weekend, and even to Freestate on some weeknights. Dad even owned part of a thoroughbred for a couple of years.

Show horses, mainly western. Quarter Horses primarily though I wasn't proud - if someone wanted me to train a Paint or Appaloosa and they paid, I did it. There are folks way at the top. I wasn't that person though I did work for a couple starting out. I was hauling a pile of youth and amateurs around chasing points. My typical horse sold for between $5k and $15k, not a quarter-million like the top of the food chain did.
One of our local city managers was BIG into those high end show horses. It was amazing for around here. She's been retired and in prison about five years now. Smile
(12-21-2021, 04:45 PM)fenders53 Wrote: One of our local city managers was BIG into those high end show horses.  It was amazing for around here.  She's been retired and in prison about five years now.  Smile

That business is full of crooks. I could tell stories. Glad I never got sucked into that end of things.
(12-21-2021, 05:03 PM)cemanuel Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 04:45 PM)fenders53 Wrote: One of our local city managers was BIG into those high end show horses.  It was amazing for around here.  She's been retired and in prison about five years now.  Smile

That business is full of crooks. I could tell stories. Glad I never got sucked into that end of things.
This gal was precuring Federal grants for the city of Dixon, IL without their knowledge, then diverting the funds.  I bet you would have a better appreciation of how outrageous it was for a woman that probably had a $100K salary.  I got one look at the ranch and thought never mind all the horses that cost years of her gross salary.  I believe she stole over $50 million.  Look up "All the Queens Horses" on Youtube.  I really think you would enjoy it being a horse guy.
"This gal was precuring Federal grants for the city of Dixon, IL without their knowledge, then diverting the funds."

Took a look at her Wikipedia page. Crazy. Though she wasn't using the horse business to carry out what she was doing; it was where the money went (from what I read). I was thinking more of the background reason for calling carriers of illegal goods "mules" and all of the fun ways to use horses to transport, er, cargo. That and there's all the less obvious things like nerving/doping a horse, having a buyer use your recommended vet for the vet check, blah, blah, blah. That was one swashbuckling sort of business.